ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! New to me Red Label.
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:05 pm 
Field Grade

Hi all. I got this 1998 yesterday. It is very clean and looks well taken care of. It functioned flawlessly, but after a box of target shot it started showing signs of leakage at the junction point just beyond the chamber. Actually looks rusted out to me. I got it at a gun show with no refunds etc, but I am going to try anyway.

Is there any way to fix this or am I screwed? Does Ruger still repair these? Sick to my stomach.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by baddarryl on Sun May 24, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Help! New to me Red Label.
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:07 pm 
Crown Grade

It is not unusual in that model. I had a new one that did the same thing. I think it is some of the oils sweating out of the monobloc when the barrels heat up.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:39 pm 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
It is not unusual in that model. I had a new one that did the same thing. I think it is some of the oils sweating out of the monobloc when the barrels heat up.

Thanks. This is my first O/U so it shocked me.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Yep, just wipe it off when it shows up, it’ll do it again as the barrels heat up and retract after shooting.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:31 am 
Presentation Grade

baddarryl wrote:
oyeme wrote:

If you had done a bit of research, you'd have surely discovered that the Ruger Red Label has a very checkered history.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:58 am 
Field Grade

Vette Jockey2 wrote:
baddarryl wrote:
oyeme wrote:

If you had done a bit of research, you'd have surely discovered that the Ruger Red Label has a very checkered history.

I had read mostly positive things, but clearly not enough. It has good wood to receiver fitting, is not too heavy blah blah. Bought it rather impulsively. I am just getting into formal skeet (haven’t even started yet)and wanted something to get into it with. If I stick with it than I’ll go for the $3000 Browning.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:17 am 
Field Grade

Go shoot it, a lot. I wouldn’t let it bother you. My first skeet gun was a Red Label. The vent rib would rattle when the action was open and Ruger wouldn’t fix it. Still have it for guests to us. Functions flawlessly.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:27 am 
Limited Edition

Gherkin05 wrote:
Go shoot it, a lot. I wouldn’t let it bother you. My first skeet gun was a Red Label. The vent rib would rattle when the action was open and Ruger wouldn’t fix it. Still have it for guests to us. Functions flawlessly.

Agree with this, shoot the gun a lot and get your feet wet shooting skeet. I suspect you will meet lots of people that will be happy to let you try other guns. If you get hooked and decide you like the game that will help you make an informed decision before spending more money. Have fun with your Red Label, I'm guessing it will break clays just fine!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

baddarryl wrote:
Bought it rather impulsively. I am just getting into formal skeet (haven’t even started yet)and wanted something to get into it with . . . .

OK. So, you made a choice. That's a good first step. But the most important step is for you to go to your local skeet range and make some friends. If you don't have anyone to take you under their wing, then drive on out to the club and introduce yourself. Tell them you've never shot skeet but that you want to learn. Ask them to set you up with a couple of guys who will go gentle on you the first couple of rounds.

In addition to your shotgun, you'll want a belt pouch or vest so you have some way to carry shells and stow empties. You'll also need ear and eye protection. Buy a few boxes of shells. You want something like #8 shot, with a 1 ounce to 1-1/8 ounce load. No need to buy premium ammo. Just buy some Estates or Remington Gun Clubs.

The hardest thing is going to be mustering the humility and gumption to approach a bunch of strangers and tell them you need help. If your local club is like mine, they'll be more than happy to welcome you into the fold and get you going.

Don't worry about the gun. It's the LEAST important part of skeet shooting.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:57 am 
Field Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
baddarryl wrote:
Bought it rather impulsively. I am just getting into formal skeet (haven’t even started yet)and wanted something to get into it with . . . .

OK. So, you made a choice. That's a good first step. But the most important step is for you to go to your local skeet range and make some friends. If you don't have anyone to take you under their wing, then drive on out to the club and introduce yourself. Tell them you've never shot skeet but that you want to learn. Ask them to set you up with a couple of guys who will go gentle on you the first couple of rounds.

In addition to your shotgun, you'll want a belt pouch or vest so you have some way to carry shells and stow empties. You'll also need ear and eye protection. Buy a few boxes of shells. You want something like #8 shot, with a 1 ounce to 1-1/8 ounce load. No need to buy premium ammo. Just buy some Estates or Remington Gun Clubs.

The hardest thing is going to be mustering the humility and gumption to approach a bunch of strangers and tell them you need help. If your local club is like mine, they'll be more than happy to welcome you into the fold and get you going.

Don't worry about the gun. It's the LEAST important part of skeet shooting.

Thanks. I know how matches work and how cool everyone is. I shot one Trap match with my BPS last year and dozens of IDPA’s at the same club. Very humbling, but great fun. I shot this gun yesterday and it definitely does it’s part. I have a guy that I am going to hook up with just for that purpose once this Covid mess is over with. I know the gun is the least important part but didn’t have an O/U to get started with. I just wanted one!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

You can do a lot worse than a Red Label. I bought a used sporting model from a friend after about 50K rds. through it. I probably put another 25k through it after I got it. It had a broken ejector when I bought it but it still extracted so no problem. A few years later my nephew wanted a Ruger so before selling it to him I sent it to Ruger to fix the extractor and replace any springs that were needed. I told them I was not the original owner and please send me a quote before starting work. After 2 weeks of not hearing anything I called Ruger and was told the gun was enroute back to me after being repaired, there was no charge. The ejector was repaired, hammer springs replaced etc. Ruger has no warranties at all but they stand behind their firearms.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:13 pm 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:

Do other O/U’s do this?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes. Other double barrels do it. Anytime you have two barrels and a mono lic, it’s possible. It will eventually quit ‘weeping’.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:51 pm 
Field Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Yes. Other double barrels do it. Anytime you have two barrels and a mono lic, it’s possible. It will eventually quit ‘weeping’.

As this my first O/U it definitely surprised me. Is there a point where it becomes a real concern? I am tempted to just go get a new Browning.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

I don’t think anyone here will try to convince you NOT to get a new gun but that has nothing to do with your Ruger.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:58 pm 
Crown Grade

baddarryl wrote:
Rooster booster wrote:

As this my first O/U it definitely surprised me. Is there a point where it becomes a real concern? I am tempted to just go get a new Browning.

No. It’s harmless. Like your nose running on a cold day.

But I’m an American first, so if you really want to go buy a new gun, or even another used gun, by all means Sir, proceed.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:55 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks everyone. I feel better now.