ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Barrel Service & Stockbending - 20% discount for SW Memb
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:03 am 
Utility Grade

Im sending mike my barrel tomorrow, getting the screw in choke tube install done. I'll keep you all updated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:56 am 
Limited Edition

I found a pricelist on about page 7 of this thread(about apr 2012)....Is that the current pricing and do SW members get 20% off of that??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Just got my barrel back, here are some pics of the work that was done to my 590a1. This barrel was modified to accept accu-choke tubes.

Dont mind my wife's carpet :/...

btomlin wrote:
I found a pricelist on about page 7 of this thread(about apr 2012)....Is that the current pricing and do SW members get 20% off of that??

Price list has not changed as far as threading....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:46 pm 
Field Grade

interesting -- put a negative post on this forum regarding mr orlen and see how long before it vanishes.

Very misleading when only certain info is allowed on the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

krempp wrote:
interesting -- put a negative post on this forum regarding mr orlen and see how long before it vanishes.

Very misleading when only certain info is allowed on the forum.

You would be the very first person I have seen or heard of being dissatisfied with Mike's work out of probably 20 or so forums I have seen his name mentioned on.

So please enlighten us on how Mike left you dissatisfied.

Delivered via the NSA

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:56 am 
Utility Grade

I sent Mr. Orlen an email today. I'm pretty excited about the idea of adding chokes to my 20" rifle sighted 870. One shotgun for HD, turkey, deer, squirrels, rabbit and skeet...

Sounds like a good time to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:25 pm 
Field Grade

Sorry- no dissatisfaction whatsoever. I just noted in a previous post that I was not able to get a response after mult. tries by phone or email to discuss some possible work. No big deal.
What was interesting was that there was another negative comment by someone else and the whole post was deleted from the forum. I'm sure Mike is awesome but when things like that happen it makes you wonder if the info on here is tainted a bit.
I like to hear objective comments on anyone. As we all know not everything goes perfect and not every customer can be satisfied. Some you just can't please no matter what. but if I research something I want to read the positive as well as the negative comments and decide for myself.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:06 am 
Utility Grade

What email address are people using to contact him? I did not get a response when I emailed (checked my spam folder too)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:22 pm 
Limited Edition

Quote:
You would be the very first person I have seen or heard of being dissatisfied with Mike's work out of probably 20 or so forums I have seen his name mentioned on.

So please enlighten us on how Mike left you dissatisfied.

orphanedcowboy, I was the person that had two posts deleted that referred to Mr. Orlen. My particular customer service issue with him has finally been resolved. I advised him when it was resolved, I would advise the readers here.

Now, that said, I see others having problems in the customer service department. One thing internet gunsmiths should know where payment is made up front and little if any recourse is available should a problem arise is trust. The person providing the service has to have above average customer service for all his/her customers.

When trust is broken it is hard to restore considering the situation of the transaction. Censoring denies readers the opportunity to judge for themselves whether they want to send out their job. All major internet websites provide feedback on their products, services or shipping.

So, I will challenge you to monitor this post. Both of us can see if it evaporates into the ethernet. As far as the particular issue, you can ask Mr. Orlen or Jay Gentry. He might have a record of the original posting.

One last thing. Mr. Orlen never apologized for the incident and he never said "thank you for your order." I guess that is the "new normal" of our age.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:18 pm 
Utility Grade

OK I built the table and jig to allow me to bend the stock on a Remington O/U. Everything went according to plan, dropped the heel 1/2" (easier than I thought it would be) and left the gun overnight in the jig to cool down. Next day removed the gun and a couple hours later it had returned to it's un-bent shape. Where did I go wrong? The gun has a thru-bolt that runs through the wrist. I figure that's the problem. If so, how do I solve it? I used infra-red bulbs and peanut oil. Reckon I didn't get it hot enough and just bent the wood before it was ready and so it was able to return to it's former shape?
Any info and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:39 am 
Tournament Grade

Wormy wrote:
OK I built the table and jig to allow me to bend the stock on a Remington O/U. Everything went according to plan, dropped the heel 1/2" (easier than I thought it would be) and left the gun overnight in the jig to cool down. Next day removed the gun and a couple hours later it had returned to it's un-bent shape. Where did I go wrong? The gun has a thru-bolt that runs through the wrist. I figure that's the problem. If so, how do I solve it? I used infra-red bulbs and peanut oil. Reckon I didn't get it hot enough and just bent the wood before it was ready and so it was able to return to it's former shape?
Any info and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sometimes it takes multiple times of bending. did yuo only bend it 1/2" and leave it? or did yuo happen to bend if say 3/4" and see what the snap back was?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Bent it the 1/2" expecting some return, but not all of it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Want to put a shell deflector on 303 20 gauge. Understand this can be done by welding a piece in these barrel. What is involved?
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Just received my Mossberg 930 barrel from Mike Orlen. He cut the 28" barrel just behind the porting and threaded it. It looks great and there is no way it could have been in his shop more than 2 working days! I know it arrived at his shop thursday afternoon aug 15 and it was back to me in Indiana wednesday aug 21 !!! Super fast service, great workmanship and a fair price! Thanks Mike!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:54 pm 
Utility Grade

I was finally able to get out to my local range and use my 590 after having it threaded. I picked up some Redhead tubes at my local BPS and man did it make a difference.

As for the negative comments its no surprise, negativity comes up when there is any type of service provided to a large group of people.

Mike deals in an old school way, send him the piece to be worked on with a note of what you want done (along with payment) and you'll get great work in return.

He may answer a phone call, or maybe not. The guy is busy and will respond to emails as soon as he can.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mike has updated the price list on page 1, as of 4/13.

Read it, figure out what you want done to you barrel or stock, disassemble your gun and send him only the part you want worked on, in a resusable container such as a heavy cardboard mailing tube for a barrel. Stick a note with the part telling him what you want done, and a personal check or MO for the amount plus return S&H, as specified on the price sheet.

His turn-around is very quick, far less than the shipping time. Mike is a solo operation and doesn't waste time on the internet or answering the phone, usually; he's busy making sure your barrel is threaded straight.

We have gotten so used to websites, credit cards, emails, and all that nonsense, when someone doesn't have a call center in Bangledesh, we get all frustrated. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:38 pm 
Field Grade

Hey all,

1st post and the obligatory ROOKIE question. I've read all 10 pages of this thread and have no doubt Mike's the guy. One thing I didn't see was...when you have your chokes opened up what about the bluing on the end of the muzzle? I've got an old 20 gauge U/O that is fixed F/M that I'd like to open up. Do they require touch up and if "yes", is that part of the deal?

OCD I know and thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:20 pm 
Utility Grade

I would also like to kno...

Also I might have missed it but has anyone had their single shots chopped to 19" and threaded by Mike? I would like to hear some opinions as I have a H&R 12 ga already chopped and was thinking about having the forcing cone lengthed, threaded for chokes and possibly just chop it another 1/2"-3/4" depending how I feel

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Yes I would like to kno as well...

Also has anyone done a barrel cut down and thread for their single shot? I have an H&R 12ga that I am thinking about having work done to it. I would like to have the barrel cut down to 18.5"

Im also thinking of lengthing the forcing cone. If I understand it correctly it is supposed to help keep patterns tighter when using shells like birdshot?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:05 am 
Tournament Grade

Was referred to Mike and tried emailing him but it has gone unanswered. I googled to make sure he was still in business and found this thread.

I have a 16 ga 11-48 barrel, currently 28" full, that I would like to have shortened to 26" and either choked to Imp Cyl or have screw in chokes installed. Of course, shortening the barrel would involve moving the bead back too (plain barrel, not VR).

SO, given the info I've found, and the fact that the barrel is an "extra" I have, I'm not opposed to just sending it to him with instructions and a check, BUT how much would I need to send?

Choke tube installation $44
Reset Beat $12
I'm guessing I would need to add $18.36 for an Imp Cyl choke tube
Shipping $20
Total $94.36. That sound right?

Edited to ad, think I'm just going to go ahead and ship it to him. When the list says "reset bead" I'm guessing that means moving the bead and the ramp the bead sits on back, correct?

Last edited by Jeepwm69 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next