ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Barrel Service & Stockbending - 20% discount for SW Memb
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:18 am 
Tournament Grade

Another question, looks like Mike uses Trulock chokes. I really want a flush mount choke, and looks like for Remchoke Trulock only has extended chokes.

When Mike does screw in chokes does he cut to take a specific choke style (Remchoke/invecta etc)? Just curious as to whether I would be able to get flush mount tubes for a 16ga if he did the work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:56 am 
Presentation Grade

anyone know if he can change anything on a Beretta that has chrome bores?? i have a 1980 made 685 fixed full over mod i would like to maybe just open up top barrel to imp/mod.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:27 pm 
Utility Grade

hey i need a barrel for my savage 12 ga. pump it has a 18.5 barrel 3in. shell i want to go up to a 20- 22 in. only thing i cant read model # at all the siral# is a597523 any help how much for barrel & to install thanks P S i thank it was made around the 1970s

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Jeepwm69 wrote:
Another question, looks like Mike uses Trulock chokes. I really want a flush mount choke, and looks like for Remchoke Trulock only has extended chokes.

When Mike does screw in chokes does he cut to take a specific choke style (Remchoke/invecta etc)? Just curious as to whether I would be able to get flush mount tubes for a 16ga if he did the work.

I might be misreading his advertisement, but it looks to me like he only threads 16 gauge barrels for tru-tube chokes. It says that he also uses chokes from Colonial. At the following URL they list 16 gauge flush fitting chokes:

http://www.colonialarms.com/ct01.html

So maybe you could have a 16 gauge threaded and use flush fitting choke tubes, but I'm sure Mr. Orlen could give you a definite answer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:23 pm 
Utility Grade

Jeez it sure would be nice if he would come online and answer some of these questions. The internet is not going to kill him :-P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:19 pm 

The phone probably won't kill you either. :?

http://users.dls.net/~rdouglas/MikeOrlen.pdf

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:43 pm 
Utility Grade

That's cute. And true. But, consider;

- I use the phone every day. It seems Mr Orlen just doesn't want to deal with people online. This 11 page thread is testament to the fact that plenty of people have questions.

- I use the phone and the internet to communicate, work, play...
Doing business online is the nature of the economy in this century. You have to evolve or you die.

-For those who say "he's to busy running a shop to get on the computer"? I know people who say the same thing, but in every case, I've found the real problem is that they are just afraid of the computer. In reality, you can work MORE efficiently via email because you don't have to put down whatever you are doing in the shop to answer a phone call. You can leave all your customer interfacing for a certain time of day that YOU chose, and get them all done in one shot. Hell, I'd have more respect for someone who only wanted to deal via email and not at all on the phone.

Of course, all that being said, I'm just some anonymous person complaining on the internet. It's his business and he can run it however he wants, because we live in the greatest country in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SPAS12 wrote:
Of course, all that being said, I'm just some anonymous person complaining on the internet. It's his business and he can run it however he wants, because we live in the greatest country in the world.

Yup . . .

But also, consider this: even if you do reach him on the phone, he can't measure and examine your barrels over the telephone. Until he has your barrel in hand, all he can offer is generalities. The best approach is simply to box your barrel up and send it to him with a note explaining what you would LIKE done. He'll let you know if what you want is possible and offer alternatives if it's not.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:49 am 
Utility Grade

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum, and was wanting to get some barrel work done. It seems obvious that Mike is the man. I sent him an email, but I understand that he's a busy man, and we're all better off that he's doing barrel work vs emailing, posting, or talking on the phone.

So I was hoping that you very knowledgable gents could perhaps answer a couple questions for me:
1. If I send Mike a couple of Remington barrels (vintage 870 mod and Sportsman 58 full) to have screw in chokes installed, what thread pattern would he use if I wanted TruLock precision hunter extended chokes? Would they be normal thickness or thin wall?
2. What length is the standard forcing code lengthening? There's the 4" super long, but what length is the normal?
3. I know Mike polishes after lengthening the forcing cone, but does anyone know if he burnishes? From what I've researched,burnishing appears to be very important for performance, rust inhibiting, and wear resistance.

I appreciate everyone's time to help me with these questions.
Glad to be a member of the forum.

Valk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:22 pm 
Utility Grade

However he chooses to do his business, I'm sure he's a very busy fellow, and from all the information I have found he does really good work. I won't hesitate to send him my business when the time comes.
I can understand avoiding talking/emailing the public when possible- I teach high school agriculture, and I would much rather stay in my classroom/shop/barn working with my students and work, and totally avoid dealing with outsiders. I can't totally avoid them, but I do as much as I can :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
SPAS12 wrote:

Yup . . .

But also, consider this: even if you do reach him on the phone, he can't measure and examine your barrels over the telephone. Until he has your barrel in hand, all he can offer is generalities. The best approach is simply to box your barrel up and send it to him with a note explaining what you would LIKE done. He'll let you know if what you want is possible and offer alternatives if it's not.

Absolutely agree; and like you say, this applies to phone callers too.

At least if one embraces email, one can look at pictures and videos that potential customers submit. Maybe the pictures are not perfect, but they're worth 1000 words (on the phone OR in email! :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:37 pm 
Field Grade

Mike performed work on two 20ga barrels (Ithaca 37 and Browning BPS) for me this past year, and I was extremely pleased with the quality of his work. Both barrels pattern beautifully, and point of impact didn't change, just like he promised.

Latest experience was back in October. On Thursday, Oct. 24th, I sent out a BPS 20ga 28 inch fixed full choke barrel from WISCONSIN. I included a note that explained that I wanted him to cut back the barrel at the second rib, thread it for truchoke, and reset the bead. I included a personal check. It arrived at his shop in MASSACHUSSETTS late Saturday afternoon, Oct. 26th. Barrel was back in my possession on Thursday, Oct. 31st.

I couldn't believe how quick the turn around time was. 7 days in total, and that included shipping both ways.

Mike will be getting all my future barrel work.

...and like some others have mentioned here on SW, I felt kind of guilty taking an additional 20% off his already extremely reasonable gunsmithing prices.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Anyone know if I could send a 391 20ga bbl to him for cutting down 3" and ask to have threaded for the OE chokes?

Tried calling but no answer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:51 pm 
Field Grade

391 OE chokes... NO.
Your options are entirely dependent on the outside diameter of the barrel at the new length.
Truchokes if the outside diameter is .700 or greater.
Invector/Winchoke if the outside diameter is .725 or greater.
Remchoke if the outside diameter is .735 or greater.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

is he still in business, i would like him to do some barrel work on a shotgun i might be purchasing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes-call him

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:26 pm 
Utility Grade

I called him less than a week ago about two barrels I want to send to him and he said to send them on with instructions about what I want done and a check, so he's definitely still in business.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:17 pm 
Limited Edition

Is this correct for barrel cut, choke install and choke tube??? $15 +$55+$29 x 20% discount = $79.20 + $20 shipping = $99.20

I'm a little confused on if the cost on page 1 have the 20% discount already applied or not.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:04 pm 
Field Grade

20% discount only applies to barrel work.
Cutting off barrel $15 ($12 after 20% discount)
Choke tube installation $55 ($44 after 20% discount)
Choke tube $29 No discount
Shipping $20 No discount
Total cost per your proposal, btomlin, would be $105.00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:46 am 
Utility Grade

Here's my experience/observations over the past 3 years.

Fall 2011 I called Mike and coordinated delivery/price of 2 1100 barrels for porting/shortening/chokes. I wasn't in a hurry and planned the work well ahead of my hunting trip not knowing his leadtime and Fall workload. I let him know I wan't in a hurry so he could take care of higher priority folks heading for the hunt . I think he had them for about 1.5wks. Barrels came back and I was impressed w/ the quality of the work. He did some extra bead work at not charge.

Fall 2012 I sent a Marlin lever action 410 for chokes. I got a hold of him ahead of time to coordinate shipping the disassembled rifle and best way to package for him. I was in a hurry for the hunt on this one. I let him know a head of time and he did the work the same day he received and shipped it out he next day. Again, great craftsmanship.

Spring 3013 I bought a gun from a fellow here in Dallas. He told me he had an 1100 w/ a blown out barrel. Dallas guy shipped it to Mike w check $$ to shorten and chokes. Mike got it and the barrel was too thin for his set up. So Mike shortened it, reset the bead and shipped it back to the Dallas guy,.. and Mike returned his check. Dallas guy said he called Mike to pay him, and apparently Mike said not to worry.

Fall 2013 I got a hold of Mike to comfirm pricing for 2 more 1100 barrels. I got busy and didn't get them out.

It might take me a few calls to get him. I try to call at reasonable East coast time and not during lunch. But I do get him. I respect his time and get to the point and move on. Leaving corporate and starting my own business, I was so relieved to get rid of my desk phone, cell phone, pager, blackberry and email (pre text era). I just have a phone. I've never been happier!!

Mike, keep doing what you are doing. Your craftsmanship, lead time, price, advice and customer service are awesome. I only hope you are as happy with your business as I am with mine.

Field testing results: The mods to the barrels in 2011 performed perfectly. I patterned each barrel on sheets of heavy packaging paper. Fired 30 plus rounds of different flavors and Colonial chokes. Compared these 2 barrels to 2 unmodified Rem OE barrels. Patterns were right on. And more importantly, your alignment jig is perfect. All patterns match the same aiming point of the unmodified REM oe barrels when tested at 30yrds.

The Marlin lever was spot on as well. I didn't have to adjust the rifle sights.

Thnx for all you do and I'll be contacting you for 2 more 1100 barrels

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next