ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta A400 Shim adjustment
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Do not understand why front fiber shim on Beretta A400 which provides left or right cast, has to match the same number as the back plate or shim which only adjusts the drop and is perfectly flat with no tapers.

Post subject: Re: Beretta A400 Shim adjustment
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The distance between the shim and the washer along with the oversized bolt hole make up the adjustment for cast.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The hole is offset a little too. So just make sure the codes that are facing you from the back all match on both the shim and washer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Many thanks, appreciate your advice. Beretta say the left or right cast is fixed but is there any way to increase it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:03 pm 
Crown Grade

By using one of the other shims. If they do not match, you take a great chance on cracking your stock

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

moore304 wrote:
Many thanks, appreciate your advice. Beretta say the left or right cast is fixed but is there any way to increase it?

Not with factory shims. I had to get some custom ones made for my wife's 20ga Xplor and the metal piece wound up with an elongated hole in it to keep from over-stressing the stock.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:44 am 
Limited Edition

dcblvsh2 wrote:
The hole is offset a little too. So just make sure the codes that are facing you from the back all match on both the shim and washer.

Shot my A400 20 gauge for the first time in about a year while my O/U was at the gunsmith. Had to change the shims because the gun was used by my son. Watched a Beretta video which stated the front shim should be put on with the numbers facing you. Did that and since I was looking at the receiver end the shim as put on wrong. Couldn't hit a darn thing. When putting the gun up it dawned on me what they meant and what I had done, a quick glance the shim after the install would have shown it being in back asswards.
From your comment it seems I'm not the only one to get it wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I wasn't wrong; the codes need to face the same direction no matter what way you look at them.
As for which code is for cast on or cast off I can't say because I don't have one in front of me. The book should say.
I can usually tell by looking at them because there is a noticeable thickness difference between left side and right side. And I put the skinny side on the right for a right handed shooter or on the left for a left handed shooter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:51 pm 
Limited Edition

I did not mean to imply you were wrong as you are 100% correct. What I did mean to imply was that as a gunsmith you had probably seen others who installed them wrong, maybe because they watched the same video I did. Your also right that the best way to tell is look to see where the thick side of the shim is as the butt stock will be pushed toward the other side. Again something I did not do until after shooting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I understand. :)

I just wanted to be sure anyone reading this understands that the code must always match no matter what way you look at them so nobody makes a mistake and cracks their stock. That would be heart breaking.

And to be respectful of the many gunsmiths that have received much training I am not a gunsmith. I am a Stock maker.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:35 am 
Limited Edition

dcblvsh2 wrote:
I understand. :)

I just wanted to be sure anyone reading this understands that the code must always match no matter what way you look at them so nobody makes a mistake and cracks their stock. That would be heart breaking.

And to be respectful of the many gunsmiths that have received much training I am not a gunsmith. I am a Stock maker.

I got a new Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus yesterday and they do not ship them with a manual to "save paper." The manuals I could find online do not address adjusting the shims. Watching a Beretta video and this thread confuse me as to the orientation of the shims for cast when they say, "they should face the same way":

1. Should the codes FACE the same way (e.g. "SX" should be visible from the butt but the "SX" on the barrel side would not be readable since it too is facing the butt)?

OR

2. Should the codes be READABLE from both sides (e.g. I should see "SX" when I look from the butt side and if I flip the stock around I should read "SX" when I look from the barrel)? This would mean they face OPPOSITE directions but are READABLE from both ends.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:17 am 
Limited Edition

There’s another way to do this besides reading the codes. Put the front one on that puts the stock where you want it. Want it lower .. put the thin side of the shim down and the thick side up. Want cast off put the thin side of the shim on the right side. Once you’ve got the front shim where you want it, put it on the receiver. Seat it firmly. Then look down the hole in the back of the stock and put the shim in so that the hole naturally lines up with where the rod is. In my example above (more drop, cast off), the back shim would be placed in so that the hole is in the upper left.

This may not make sense as I have written it, but, to me, it makes more sense than trying to figure out the numbering scheme and which way to put the numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:37 am 
Limited Edition

Denver1911 wrote:
There’s another way to do this besides reading the codes. Put the front one on that puts the stock where you want it. Want it lower .. put the thin side of the shim down and the thick side up. Want cast off put the thin side of the shim on the right side. Once you’ve got the front shim where you want it, put it on the receiver. Seat it firmly. Then look down the hole in the back of the stock and put the shim in so that the hole naturally lines up with where the rod is. In my example above (more drop, cast off), the back shim would be placed in so that the hole is in the upper left.

This may not make sense as I have written it, but, to me, it makes more sense than trying to figure out the numbering scheme and which way to put the numbers.

I THINK I follow what you say if it's super evident. I just know people have said you can damage the gun if they are not aligned properly. I'd like to confirm my questions above (I'll reiterate so it's not lost in an old thread):

1. Should the codes FACE the same way (e.g. "SX" should be visible from the butt but the "SX" on the barrel side would not be readable since it too is facing the butt)?

OR

2. Should the codes be READABLE from both sides (e.g. I should see "SX" when I look from the butt side and if I flip the stock around I should read "SX" when I look from the barrel)? This would mean they face OPPOSITE directions but are READABLE from both ends.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:47 am 
Limited Edition

MNGunner wrote:
Denver1911 wrote:

I THINK I follow what you say if it's super evident. I just know people have said you can damage the gun if they are not aligned properly. I'd like to confirm my questions above (I'll reiterate so it's not lost in an old thread):

OR

Number 1 .. I think. But it’s so confusing (to me) that I don’t pay attention to the marking.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Denver1911 wrote:
MNGunner wrote:
Denver1911 wrote:

OR

Number 1 .. I think. But it’s so confusing (to me) that I don’t pay attention to the marking.

I think you're correct. I just found this buried in Beretta FAQs:

https://www.berettasupport.com/service/ ... estion.htm
(searched for A400 shims)

Re-Assembly:

Center the desired polymer shim flush with the rear of the receiver. The stock bolt tube will go through the center gap. The desired drop and cast indicators (e.g. "C-65-DX") should sit upright, with the numbers and letters facing towards the rear of the buttstock. If the stock were transparent, the shooter should be able to clearly see these indicators facing them.

Reposition the stock. Place the steel washer inside the stock, with the hole of the washer secured to the rear of the stock bolt tube. The desired drop and cast indicators (e.g. "C-65-DX") should sit upright, with the numbers and letters facing towards the rear of the buttstock. If the stock were transparent, the shooter should be able to clearly see these indicators facing them.

Using your screwdriver, fasten the stock screws and pad to the rear of the buttstock.
Using your 13mm socket wrench, insert the lock washer over the drop washer, followed by the 13mm nut. Using your torque wrench, tighten the nut using 1.6-1.8 kg-m (138-156 in-lb). or torque.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’m sorry. I missed this the other day when you were asking but it looks like you found the answer.

I like the “transparent stock” description.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:46 pm 
Limited Edition

dcblvsh2 wrote:
I’m sorry. I missed this the other day when you were asking but it looks like you found the answer.

I like the “transparent stock” description.

I agree, that description made it clear (and no pun intended--I hate puns). Thanks for your help--I read your other answers and this is what I gathered, but just wanted to confirm.