ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tried and True Finish
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:12 pm 
Crown Grade

I know this is opening a can of worms, BUT I'm wondering
if anyone uses this product to finish gun stocks.
It is a Linseed based oil
with Beeswax in it and thickened.
I'm not concerned about TruOil, if I wanted that kind of finish I'd use
a better grade of Varnish.

The instructions say to apply in very thin coats, letting eaxh dry or soak in for about a hour then wipe off. And drying time is at least 24 hours.

Post subject: Re: Tried and True Finish
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

What's it called and where did you get it? Sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:21 am 
Crown Grade

That's what it is called "Tried & True"
www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com
Called "Original Wood Finish", instructions say to apply in very thin coats.
It says Polymerized Linseed oil & Beeswax.
It is a oil finish and does bring out the grain, so far second coat is still drying.
I hope to have a finish like what is put on Purdy shotguns.

I picked up a pint at Wood Craft store.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:25 am 
Crown Grade

Please post pictures when you are done and your assessment on its use.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:21 am 
Diamond Grade

TruOil is the tried and proven polymerizing gun stock finish, far superior to any varnish.
I do not know the product that you are using, but many gunmakers use TruOil with satisfaction.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:44 am 
Presentation Grade

saskbooknut wrote:
TruOil is the tried and proven polymerizing gun stock finish, far superior to any varnish.
I do not know the product that you are using, but many gunmakers use TruOil with satisfaction.

I don't know any stock makers that use TruOil.

CT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:13 am 
Crown Grade

I think that the Tried and True finish is very close to Slackum oil used by
Purdy on their stocks. There are many different formulas to Slackum oil.
But all use Linseed oil and some sort of wax in the compound.
How it is put on is the answer to what type of finish results.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:47 pm 
Crown Grade

searun wrote:
saskbooknut wrote:

I don't know any stock makers that use TruOil.

CT

That's strange, when I went through the gunstock finishing class at Lassen gunsmithing school, the instructor, John Vest, taught a sanded in oil finish using Truoil thinned 5 to 1 with mineral spirits. It was the same finish he put on the $10,000 stocks he made for customers. That was in 1992 dollars.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use Tru Oil when a customer asks for it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:35 am 
Diamond Grade

Now here's a guy we should listen to.
You use "Tru Oil when a customer asks for it", what do you use when you have free rein to do your own thing?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like Daly’s Ben Matte personally. I think it handles crappy weather really well. It is easy to repair dents and dings and it is easy for a customer to freshen up the finish when they feel like it.

The drawback is that it rots in the can 6 months after opening it. So if a guy buys a pint to freshen up his stock it’s almost a guarantee that it will be bad the next time you open the can.

I don’t have a problem withTru Oil. It just gets really shiny and it’s not that easy to break the shine for a different sheen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

saskbooknut wrote:

Tru-Oil appears to be ordinary alkyd varnish mixed with about 10% BLO to make it easy to rub by hand.( see SDS on Birchwood Casey website) Oil-varnish mixtures are a very old finish used by furniture makers for at least a 150 years.

The oil eases hand application but actually compromises the durability of the final finish over what would be achieved by just using the varnish alone. it also extends the drying time. This is not a big deal for custom furniture makers or most gunsmiths, but is not acceptable for mass production furniture or guns.

Tried and True finishes ( there are 3) appear to be mostly "modified" linseed oil mixed with various pine resins, beeswax or nothing at all. ( see the individual SDS on their website) They are claimed to be free of petroleum solvents so apparently they are using turpentine.

The T&T varnish oil has been criticized in the woodworking magazines as being very slow to cure. That is no surprise since it mostly BLO. The question is why would you want to use it on a gunstock? The high percentage of linseed oil ( 70-100%) means the resistance to water is very poor. Also, the actual hardness of the cured finish is going to poor at best. In fact, the soft finish is what makes repairing of scratches so easy with some 4/0 steel wool and a little liquid finish.

The oil based urethane wiping varnishes on the market are far superior in drying time, water resistance, film hardness, etc. to any of the old drying oil( linseed or tung) based finishes. If you have an old stock that needs refinishing and want to use the old methods, than use the natural oil based finishes. Just remember that even old production stocks were often finished with lacquer or varnish to reduce the drying time. If you have a modern or newly made stock you would be better off using more modern finish. JMHO.

WOB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good info WOB. This is why I don’t get too hung up on all these different finishes. Like you say most of them are loosely the same thing.

I actually don’t mind a BLO finish. I feel strongly that it does require wax to help it along. And certainly requires more frequent maintenance.

A BLO finish is like having a skylight in your house. It is something that you need to pay close attention to, and perform frequent maintenance on or you will have a problem on your hands.

I have wanted to try Minwax Antique oil but I haven’t gone as far as reading the can to see what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Try some oil based Minwax Wipe on Poly. It is also made in water-base, but I have not used it. Anyway, the oil-based is a huge improvement in wood finish. I like the sanded-in method for pore filling and MWWOP works very well. It dries fast enough to do 2 sanding cycles in a day if you have a drying cabinet or a low humidity ambient. After pore filling is complete, wiped on thin coats dry fast and hard. It self-levels nicely and it is easy to build a surface film as desired. I used 2 thin coats and left the last one to dry for a week to get the final ultimate hardness. Finally, rub-out with 4/0 and soapy water to get a nice satin, or leave it alone for a high gloss which can be polished if need be. Great stuff IMHO.

WOB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:48 am 
Field Grade

Wipe on Poly is the way to go. You can get a great finish in 2-3 days complete.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

"I don’t have a problem withTru Oil. It just gets really shiny and it’s not that easy to break the shine for a different sheen."

I agree that Tru Oil imparts a really high shine, but I've had success in knocking it back down with an light rub of rottenstone with a water lube. I mean REALLy light rub.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:00 am 
Utility Grade

I use a homemade concoction with the same ingredients as tried and true. I use it only on my working guns, for pretty shiny nice high figure wood i use linspeed.

My concoction is equal parts BLO, beeswax, and turp. Heated enough to get the wax to dissolve and mix them allowed to cool. Properly sealed up it lasts forever on the shelf.

You just keep rubbing it in until the wax fills the grain. It is a quick easy finish that, especially for dirty shops or.clumsy applicators.

You can basically apply it any time you want and it even protects metal quite nicely. It leaves a nice hand rubbed warm finish that can be touched up anytime you want. It's drawbacks are it is not a finish and forget it needs to be maintained to protect the wood but maintenance is easy. I put on a application at The beginning of each season, which may be overkill.

The real beauty of it is if you don't like it acetone strips it right off and pulls it out of the grain as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

marshfield wrote:
"I don’t have a problem withTru Oil. It just gets really shiny and it’s not that easy to break the shine for a different sheen."

I agree that Tru Oil imparts a really high shine, but I've had success in knocking it back down with an light rub of rottenstone with a water lube. I mean REALLy light rub.

I have used rotten stone and mineral oil. I’ll try water instead of the mineral oil.

I’ve used wipe on poly for adjustable combs. I’ll give it a try on a complete finish when the occasion arises.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:02 pm 
Crown Grade

I have been using a very thinned out TruOil for my latest project. I wipe it in very hard until it gets very warm under my hand. I apply two coats per day. It does not build up very fast at all as it is a very thin coat and is more of a finish that is in the wood. I think it will be fine but will take many coats.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:24 am 
Field Grade

I prefer the BLO finish especially on the old Garand and carbine. Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year and then once a year thereafter. But I'm old and retired.