ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Citori top lever too far right
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Attachment:
smaller.jpg
Disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and top lever is too far right and it will not fire. No new parts except springs and pins. With the barrel set off top lever returns to center. With the barrel on it will not. Can anyone tell me what I've done?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Citori top lever too far right
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:46 am 
Field Grade

maybe a daft question, but is there something in the bights under the bottom barrel that is stopping the bolt moving forward?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:55 am 
Utility Grade

sensible question but no. long story short I tried the "good ole boy" soak the receiver overnight in cleaning fluid and was one real dumb move. Turned all the burnt powder in the receiver into a slurry and the next time I shot it, it wasn't right at all. This slurry ran everywhere internally and stressed the mechanism when I cocked it evidently enough to tweak the lock bolt. I serioused up this morning and started bluing the lock bolt to barrel lug and it has changed from where it has run for so many years. In the pic the bolt is now only contacting the barrel lug roughly 1/32" You can see the old contact area which is 1/8". I'm going to start taking the bolt down a couple thousandths each time and see how that progresses.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Win571 wrote:
sensible question but no. long story short I tried the "good ole boy" soak the receiver overnight in cleaning fluid and was one real dumb move. Turned all the burnt powder in the receiver into a slurry and the next time I shot it, it wasn't right at all. This slurry ran everywhere internally and stressed the mechanism when I cocked it evidently enough to tweak the lock bolt. I serioused up this morning and started bluing the lock bolt to barrel lug and it has changed from where it has run for so many years. In the pic the bolt is now only contacting the barrel lug roughly 1/32" You can see the old contact area which is 1/8". I'm going to start taking the bolt down a couple thousandths each time and see how that progresses.

I suggest that you NOT start filing on the locking bolt. If the gun was working properly before you started fixing it, then it should work properly again without any filing being done to it provided you clean it and reassemble it properly.

From your description it sounds like you quit the cleaning process before it was complete. This "burnt powder slurry" that you refer to should have been washed out by the solvent. If it wasn't, then you need to do the solvent cleaning again.

There should be no problem with the bolt locking into the barrel bite unless something is in the bite that stops it. Have you cleaned the barrel bite also? Also, I don't understand your comment about your "tweak" of the locking bolt. Hopefully you didn't force anything enough to bend that bolt which I don't think is possible anyway.

I'm thinking that you haven't adequately cleaned the gun and that something is in there that is preventing the proper closure of the bolt. But again, this is assuming that your spring and pin replacement was done properly and the gun is properly assembled.

If a more thorough cleaning (and lubrication) doesn't fix the gun, I'd suggest that you take it to a gunsmith for inspection. Under no circumstances would I recommend doing any filing on the bolt if that bolt was working fine in the gun before you started replacing things.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:21 am 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Win571 wrote:

I suggest that you NOT start filing on the locking bolt. If the gun was working properly before you started fixing it, then it should work properly again without any filing being done to it provided you clean it and reassemble it properly.

From your description it sounds like you quit the cleaning process before it was complete. This "burnt powder slurry" that you refer to should have been washed out by the solvent. If it wasn't, then you need to do the solvent cleaning again.

There should be no problem with the bolt locking into the barrel bite unless something is in the bite that stops it. Have you cleaned the barrel bite also? Also, I don't understand your comment about your "tweak" of the locking bolt. Hopefully you didn't force anything enough to bend that bolt which I don't think is possible anyway.

I'm thinking that you haven't adequately cleaned the gun and that something is in there that is preventing the proper closure of the bolt. But again, this is assuming that your spring and pin replacement was done properly and the gun is properly assembled.

If a more thorough cleaning (and lubrication) doesn't fix the gun, I'd suggest that you take it to a gunsmith for inspection. Under no circumstances would I recommend doing any filing on the bolt if that bolt was working fine in the gun before you started replacing things.

Every word of it, ESPECIALLY the bolded part.

It was working fine before you "cleaned" it (an assumption from your post statements).

You failed to clean it thoroughly and completely and now have gunked up SOMETHING, SOMEWHERE.

Leave the files and dremmel put the heck away and go clean it COMPLETELY this time and fix it properly.

Or, hey,, "If it ain't broke, keep 'fixing' it until it is.".
It's your gun, and your money.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:14 pm 
Utility Grade

thanks for the comments guys but here's the plain truth. I violated rule # ONE. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Then it got better when I bubba-ed it and pitched it in the bucket of solvent. (see pics) from when I took it apart to see what was going on. Secondly when I took it to the second generation area gunsmith in Marietta who said he was all over it. Can't comment further on this because the moderator would have to delete the post.

Yeah, I don't understand at all why this gun won't go back together to it's original orientation from factory and the lock bolt seems a last resort presently after having blued it's current relation to the barrel lug.

I'll keep looking to see what I'm missing and trying to avoid sending it back to Browning.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:43 am 
Diamond Grade

Oh My, you might want to give Bud's Gun Shop a call.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:16 am 
Utility Grade

ohio mike wrote:
Oh My, you might want to give Bud's Gun Shop a call.

thanks for tip on Buds Gun Shop, Mike.

got up early and plugged the 9" sidegrinder in, made 3 precision passes on the lock bolt ripping off 1.1 thousands each time all the while taking these measurements with a 6' Lufkin ruler. think she'll work now...........

Here's what really happened this morning. Pulled the whetstones off the shelf. Spent 2 hrs. stoning the lock bolt and bluing it for contact to the barrel. Finally got the lock bolt back to the original contact to the barrel lug. Reassembled it, hammers now fall every time and top lever is at 5:30. I'll run it in few days to see if it pops open and barrel set flops in the dirt. Stay tuned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

All I can say is WOW! I would never have believed that receiver parts could look or be that crudded up. :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

After reading Win571's latest posts and looking at the pictures, I've come to the conclusion that he is simply having fun with us. It's impossible for anyone to follow what has gone on with that gun and who has done what to it. Apparently some "gunsmith" has done something to it, but I have no idea what.

At first I thought that he was really serious in asking for help, but now I believe that his intent is to show us that he knows more about how to fix it than the gunsmiths do... and perhaps he may be right about that. He obviously knows more than the average gun owner about how guns work or he wouldn't be able to do some of the things he's done even though I question the wisdom of some of those things.

Well, anyway, it's his gun and apparently he's determined to "fix" it in his own way, and he may be able to do that, but I don't think I'm going to bother trying to "advise" him any further because I don't think he is really serious about wanting advice, or at least he doesn't appear serious about wanting to FOLLOW advice.

Good luck to you, Win571. You just might get the gun working again. I just hope that I never run across that gun in the Used Gun rack at some gun store because the outside of the gun doesn't look too bad, but Lord only knows what has been done to the inside of it. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:06 am 
Crown Grade

Yep,, you go have alllllll the fun you want bud. I'm done.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:28 am 
Limited Edition

Why is your top lever silver in Tuesday's photo and blued in your Wednesday photo? You said you only replaced pins and springs.

And, in the photo of the blued top lever . . . admittedly, it's so gunked up that it's difficult to tell for sure, and it might be just the way the light is hitting it . . . but something doesn't look normal near the bottom of the shaft . . . it almost looks like the steel is cracked down there . . like a chunk of metal is split.

both available direct from the publisher: http://www.gunshowbooks.com/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:05 pm 
Utility Grade

that's just spent powder, solvent mix on the top lever from when I originally tore it down and it does look like it's damaged doesn't it but it wasn't. I'm not a "smithy" and had no idea that much powder could accumulate between the lock bolt and cocking lever that you can't see or get to without a tear down. yeah WOW.

pics taken this morning early before I started on the lock bolt with the whetstone and after putting it back together.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:16 am 
Utility Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Win571 wrote:

Could be the spring on your top snap got frozen when you cleaned it. Or it is missing Do you feel pressure on the top snap.?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:28 am 
Utility Grade

Win571 wrote:
Attachment:
smaller.jpg
Disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and top lever is too far right and it will not fire. No new parts except springs and pins. With the barrel set off top lever returns to center. With the barrel on it will not. Can anyone tell me what I've done?

You may have closed up the locking lugs at the ends of the barrel, They should be in a " u" shape. Smoke them with a candle , and see where it marks the top snap. The snap should slide between them .Gun probably wont fire because the safety is locked on by the top snap. You may have " bent " the lugs when you cleaned it . I would not start filing anything

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:13 am 
Limited Edition

WOW!! only word that comes to mind at this time.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If all this is true then I think you simply did not get the gun clean and properly lubricated after the soak.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:45 am 
Crown Grade

Bailey Boat wrote:
WOW!! only word that comes to mind at this time.....

Thread is over a year old, OP hasn’t posted here in over a year.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]