ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage Stevens barrel interchangeability
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:28 am 
Diamond Grade

I have two Savage Stevens model 94s; a 20 ga 94H and a 12ga 94F. The barrels seem to fit the receivers perfectly when I swap them. Is it safe to fire the guns with barrels other than as factory shipped? The 20 has a bad stock so if the barrels interchange, I’ll just change barrels if I want to shoot 20s.

Post subject: Re: Savage Stevens barrel interchangeability
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Some makes and models were specifically designed to accept interchangeable shotgun and/or rifle barrels of different gauge or caliber right out of the box without factory fitting (the Czech Brno ZH over/under comes to mind). I don't know if the Savage/Stevens Model 94 and variations fall into this category. Are the guns built on appropriate size frames or, is the 20 gauge built on a 12 gauge frame (probably not).

I don't recall Savage/Steven publishing information regarding interchangeability of 20 gauge Model 94H barrels onto 12 gauge Model 94F frames. You should check with a competent gunsmith. I would expect a gunsmith to check the following:

1.) Does the lump hook of the 20 gauge barrel that revolves around the hinge pin have
the same dimensions as the lump hook of the 12 gauge barrel? Does the action open
and close easily when the 20 gauge barrel is installed?

2.) With the 20 gauge barrel attached to the frame and the action closed, does the breech
end of the barrel sit squarely against the standing breech? With the barrel pointed
downwards and the gun shaken with one hand is any looseness detected in the bolting
of barrel to frame?

3.) When the 20 gauge barrel is fitted to the 12 gauge frame, is the firing pin in line with
the bore center of the 20 gauge chamber? If not, regardless of other fit considerations
the firing pin may not strike the primer squarely resulting in a misfire or FTF.

A knowledgeable gunsmith will be able to answer these questions. They may also have other inspections and/or tests to perform before the suitability of barrel interchange for your gun can be determined.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:05 am 
Diamond Grade

I can swap the barrels back and forth and each appears to fit perfectly. The 20 ga barrel is extremely thick walled at the chamber to fill the space in the action, which makes me think there was only one size of frame. This makes the firing pin center on the round regardless of gauge (I’m guessing). Other than the forearm being sized appropriately for the barrel, everything seems about the same. Checking with a gunsmith would be the next step I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:35 pm 
Crown Grade

If it fits properly, if it mounts up properly, and if everything lines up properly, and it locks closed properly, it will be fine.

Rather obviously if it won't close, or closes loose and rattley, or won't lock, not so good.

Meanwhile,,, get the old stock fixed/replaced and be up another gun. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:28 pm 
Crown Grade

FWIW, www.gunpartscorp.com currently lists a stock to fit your 20 gauge for $88.50.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:09 am 
Utility Grade

doppelflinten wrote:
FWIW, http://www.gunpartscorp.com currently lists a stock to fit your 20 gauge for $88.50.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

I know you can't swap barrels on the 311 Firing pins do not line up You need the same gauge body.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:23 am 
Diamond Grade

The receivers on the 94 are the same size for all gauges. The barrels of all gauges seem to have the same O.D. At the chamber as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:56 am 
Crown Grade

EricB wrote:
I can swap the barrels back and forth and each appears to fit perfectly. The 20 ga barrel is extremely thick walled at the chamber to fill the space in the action, which makes me think there was only one size of frame. This makes the firing pin center on the round regardless of gauge (I’m guessing). Other than the forearm being sized appropriately for the barrel, everything seems about the same. Checking with a gunsmith would be the next step I suppose.

If the closed joint between the 94H bbl and the 94F frame shows no gap between then when held up to a strong light, cut to the chase & fire it.

If you're dubious, strap the gun to a vehicle's spare tire and remote test fire with a string to the trigger.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:05 am 
Crown Grade

EricB wrote:
I have two Savage Stevens model 94s; a 20 ga 94H and a 12ga 94F. The barrels seem to fit the receivers perfectly when I swap them. Is it safe to fire the guns with barrels other than as factory shipped? The 20 has a bad stock so if the barrels interchange, I’ll just change barrels if I want to shoot 20s.

It sounds pretty good. One thing you can try, is firing several ‘primer only’ shells first. That will help with alignment questions, and extracted/ejector questions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:06 am 
Diamond Grade

I originally posted this over a year ago. The barrel swap works fine. Now that I’m thinking about it again I need to list the 12ga on gunbroker and get a stock for the 20.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Looks like another old dredge job by Bobups......seems to specialize in finding old, buried bones.:-)