ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How do I get this oil out of the stock ?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was thinking in the original picture that it didn’t look like you had it totally stripped. Now it looks like bare wood.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

dcblvsh2 wrote:
I was thinking in the original picture that it didn’t look like you had it totally stripped. Now it looks like bare wood.

The original finish was pretty well gone in that area, lots of dirty oil had soaked in. Nothing from the action into the end grain of the stock however.

Very nice work on your website by the way. As an amateur wood worker the finish is where I fall short. The excitement of the build makes me rush the finish so I can see the final result.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks. Feel free to contact me if you have questions about the process or whatever. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

casonet wrote:
Well you’ve got at least two terrific solvents for oil: methylene chloride and toluene. The acetone isn’t bad either except that it’s an amphoteric molecule.

Casonet , I know what an amphoteric molecule is but don’t understand the significance in this scenario. Could you explain please ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Acetone is bipolar. It is soluble in both water and oil whereas solvents like mineral spirits are not.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

casonet wrote:
Acetone is bipolar. It is soluble in both water and oil whereas solvents like mineral spirits are not.

That’s interesting. Does that hinder its ability to remove oil from wood?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:47 am 
Diamond Grade

I would think the biggest drawback using Acetone with whiting would be it's evaporation rate. It's very rapid. MEK is much slower.

I don't know this for a fact, but I bet you could use a slow drying reducer for paint as a solvent. They're just blends of the common solvents we're discussing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:56 am 
Diamond Grade

I've always used oven cleaner, it works great, spray it on and let sit for half an hour in the sun, rince off with water and repeat.
Done a lot of stocks like that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I used to use MEK but it seemed like it evaporates instantly. I’m going to bow to your knowledge and get another can and try it again.

I used to try to make a paste as directed but the solvent would dry fast enough that it was difficult to apply to the wood in time before it was too dry to stick. Now I just pour the solvent on and quickly bury the head of the stock in the can of whiting. Let it sit a while and repeat.

What would the slow drying paint reducer be called? I have many chunks of walnut that I can experiment with.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:58 am 
Diamond Grade

dcblvsh2 wrote:
casonet wrote:

That’s interesting. Does that hinder its ability to remove oil from wood?

Or does that mean it will dry out the wood excessively?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:09 am 
Diamond Grade

dcblvsh2 wrote:
I used to use MEK but it seemed like it evaporates instantly. I’m going to bow to your knowledge and get another can and try it again.

I used to try to make a paste as directed but the solvent would dry fast enough that it was difficult to apply to the wood in time before it was too dry to stick. Now I just pour the solvent on and quickly bury the head of the stock in the can of whiting. Let it sit a while and repeat.

What would the slow drying paint reducer be called? I have many chunks of walnut that I can experiment with.

Go to an auto body supply house, and ask to buy a quart of the slowest drying urethane reducer that they have. Most auto parts stores mix paint. In some states that can't happen due to VOC laws, but I don't think you're in one of them.

Alternatively...looks like Amazon sells some products, but they're a little pricey IMO.

If I were trying to use the whiting, I'd wrap the stock in plastic to slow the evaporation of the solvent. Several companies make a masking plastic that's thin, and would work great. You can buy that at any Sherwin-Williams store.

ETA...if you have a SW industrial store nearby, you can get the reducer there as well.

Last edited by painter* on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Lots of molecules are bipolar; alcohols for example. I would think that the best solvents would be what are called aliphatic alkanes or aromatic ring compounds like benzene that are non polar and only very slightly soluble in water. I’m not a chemist but I’m recalling al of this from many college chemistry courses years ago. This stuff is easy to look up.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Applied a couple coats of oil last night. At first glance looks like I should have done a second treatment to get the oil out.

I applied another coat, let it get nearly dry and then went at it with some 600 grit wet/dry paper by hand. This is the process for Watco Danish Oil, it creates a slurry that fills the pores in and takes off the “pustules” left behind when the oil dries.

I didn’t want to lose the figure on the butt by cutting it off for a recoil pad so I’m going with a 5/8 inch Limbsaver.

Upon looking at the wood I think there is a lot of end grain in the grip area, and maybe at least some of the darkness is from that. That’s the story I’m going with anyway.

I’ll let it dry completely now and start spraying tomorrow. Do another sanding with a damp 600 grit paper first.

[url=https://ibb.co/16nq0X2]Image[/url

I enjoy these projects and I always hope to learn something, as I have with this one. In the end I’ll have way too much time into a field grade model 12. But, like I tell my wife, it’ll look good on her sale.

Last edited by McFarmer on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It will take many coats of that oil, but the end result is worth it. That’s the same oil that the Winchester custom shop used according to Pauline.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Bob9863 wrote:
I've always used oven cleaner, it works great, spray it on and let sit for half an hour in the sun, rince off with water and repeat.

Most oven cleaners are Lye-based, extremely alkaline to the point of being corrosive (and not easily washed off (I use oven cleaner for a lot of things)).

I wouldn't think that'd be real good on the wood fibers, but I've got nothing that says absolutely that it's bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If one can find MPK (methyl propyl ketone), it is the solvent that has replaced MEK and acetone in many industrial applications. As a member of the ketone family, it would remove oil quite well, but it has a much lower vapor pressure than acetone or MEK, so it doesn’t evaporate as quickly. Would likely work very well for use on wood stocks. Of course, it also has a funky odor, but we do all this work in well ventilated areas anyway, right?

Good luck and safe shooting.

PM or contact [email protected] for details

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:34 pm 
Crown Grade

ohio mike wrote:
Acetone bath for at least 24 hours.

^ this.

And it still might not get it completely out.

I just did a hard used BPS stock set. Used Daly’s Ben-Matte finish. Love it, but wish I would have stained the stock first just to get more even coloring.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:41 pm 
Crown Grade

As a side note there used to be a guy on here that argued excessively that you couldn’t over-oil guns and that oils didn’t do any harm at all to wood stocks.

Fortunately he quit posting.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
Bob9863 wrote:

Most oven cleaners are Lye-based, extremely alkaline to the point of being corrosive (and not easily washed off (I use oven cleaner for a lot of things)).

I wouldn't think that'd be real good on the wood fibers, but I've got nothing that says absolutely that it's bad.

It's a trick that has worked for years, does an easy and effective job.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/educationa ... n-cleaner/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here is how Larry Potterfield does it:
https://youtu.be/Eb7WQTbXUlU

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next