ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How do I get this oil out of the stock ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

ohio mike wrote:
Acetone bath for at least 24 hours.

X2 on the acetone. It will pull out the oil.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:27 am 
Field Grade

After using acetone to bath a stock; can the acetone be reused or must you dispose it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I reuse the acetone several times. I just use a funnel and pour it back into the 1gallon containers it came it. It will often have sediment in the bottom that I leave in the tray and let dry out before discarding. You’ll also lose some to evaporation even though you keep the lid sealed while soaking the stock.

I also rinse the stock with denatured alcohol to neutralize the reaction then I hang them to dry for a few days

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:07 am 
Field Grade

Thank you for answering my question dcblvsh2.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use it until it gets pretty red. Once a year the county has a paint round up so I can dispose of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:55 am 
Diamond Grade

Burn barrel. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
McFarmer wrote:
Am I correct in thinking "whiting" is simply CaCO3, or lime, or chalk ?

Highly likely, because that is what it was a century+ ago, BUT, times change.

Much more specialized materials are used for that testing nowadays.

Still, that will NOT remove nearly as much oil as a solvent such as the aforementioned Acetone Soak will, not hardly.

This is certainly my experience too. I have the whiting and tried it as per the instructions several times. Each time, it wasn’t near as effective as an Acetone soaking my for 24 hours.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Using acetone/whiting slurry to pull out the oil is a convenience for those that don't have or want to handle a large container of acetone. It will remove all the oil if you have patience to make enough repetitive coating/drying cycles. I once had a Win. 63 fore end that was completely soaked thru with oil. The owner wanted to save it, so I started the process. I did use MEK instead of acetone, but all that did was to speed up the removal maybe 25%. It took about a month of daily coatings to get all the oil, but in the end, the whiting stayed white after drying which signaled that there was no oil left. Now the wood was not that thick ( probably 1/2" max) and I was able to coat both inside and outside surfaces. The process does work if you persist.

WOB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well, the project is done. It’s a 1953 model 12 that has been all blinged out. Not for some folks’ taste but it keeps me out of the bars.

I have always wanted a ploychoke gun to play with shooting trap, this came up at a good price. The metal is absolutely blemish free, the wood was a little tired and had the oil which started this thread.

This is the result:

Ebay provided me with a NOS Herters forearm for $15. Pretty slippery but for trap it shouldn’t be an issue. It required a lot of fitting.

It had a hard plastic butt plate so I put a 5/8 Limbsaver on without cutting it down.
I had some plastic laying around and fashioned a white spacer. Like I say, not for some but I like it.

This is the oil area, not totally gone but good enough for me.

The whole deal.

Now to take it out to pattern it. My inside dial gauge can’t get more than IM out of the poly choke, but the patterns may say different.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:26 pm 
Crown Grade

That looks fantastic! Well done!!! I have used a Poly Choke on several guns and got my tightest patterns from the setting marked as IM or one click more open than the Full setting. I never measured the constriction but went by results.

I hope your Trap shooting buddies are more accepting than mine were, because mine complained about the noise from the Poly many times. For that reason, I have always preferred the Standard Poly that does not have the vented cage. I once actually had a Deluxe Poly made into a Standard, by having the vented portion cut off and the end properly finished.

I bet you shoot it well as many Model 12 users can attest to their "point-ability". Well done, Sir!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

Nice job! If you like the white line spacer a trick to keep in mind is a cheap three ring plastic binder cover from an office supply store. You could go red or even green with that too. But I’m like you. White is classic. Binder cover will give you a thinner line and the covers can be found in different thicknesses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

oyeme wrote:
That looks fantastic! Well done!!!

I hope your Trap shooting buddies are more accepting than mine were, because mine complained about the noise from the Poly many times.

I bet you shoot it well as many Model 12 users can attest to their "point-ability". Well done, Sir!

Thanks. I’ve never been around a polychoke to hear if they are loud. Couldn’t be much different than the ported barrels I wouldn’t think.

Patently Obvious wrote:
Nice job! If you like the white line spacer a trick to keep in mind is a cheap three ring plastic binder cover from an office supply store. You could go red or even green with that too. But I’m like you. White is classic. Binder cover will give you a thinner line and the covers can be found in different thicknesses.

I had a big three inch thick brick of plastic in the shape of a butt pad I cut this one off of. Had it around since forever.

Your stock is what I’m aiming for. That blemish free finish is very elusive. My shop is pretty dusty. I wipe two coats on, wet sanding between them, then spray two coats on. Tru oil sprays pretty good, with just a little thinner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:40 am 
Diamond Grade

Turned out a treat.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Looks nice. A job well done. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:38 am 
Tournament Grade

Attachment:
crosman 3.JPG
1960's Crosman CR 160. hand rubbed with 10 coats of tung oil on a poplar stock. coated with Jasco paint & epoxy stripper & wrapped in plastic for 2 hours, wiped clean with acetone & repeated twice. washed with acetone & again with automotive reducer & let dry for 2 days. sanded with 100, 180, 220, 320, 400, 600 & synthetic steel wool. hand rubbed with tung oil. 24 hour dry time between coats then synthetic steel wooled before recoat.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:28 am 
Diamond Grade

zack49, that is attractive wood for an air rifle. Did you apply any stain ? The poplar wood I've used for drawers never had the dark color that does. Looks very good either way, well done.

I have a grandson that is going to be needing an air rifle this summer. I've been looking but don't know much about them. I think a break open would be the way I want to go.

Can a person get parts for those older guns ? Do you have any suggestions ? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:25 am 
Tournament Grade

those old Crosmans rifles & pistols were firearm quality. blued steel & quality wood. select poplar heartwood is a grade above rest. most poplar back in those days was used for pallets. now they use it for trim & furniture. my 1st pellet rifle was a Benjamin model 312 pumper. I traded a cub scout knife & a Duncan yo-yo for it. moved on to a Sheridan pumper & then on to Crosman CO2 rifles. like anything else there are pros & cons to different rifles. my every day pellet rifle these days is a Swedish built FX2000 PCP ( pre charged pnuematic ). it holds 3000 lbs pressure & is recharged by a scuba tank. it's suppressed so the only sound it you hear is a slight ping. the power is adjustable. i have it set to 750 f.p.s. which is plenty enough to drop squirrels out to 50 yds. at that setting i get 25 shots before recharging. at 1000 f.p.s. i was getting 12. it uses an 8 shot rotating magazine that i put a white paint dot on it so that when the dot comes back around i know it's empty. i have 3 mags. P.C.P. rifles come in .177, .22, .25, .30, 9mm, & .50. the big bores are single shot & there are hunters killing big game like African water buffalo with them. it is now legal to hunt deer in Missouri with air rifles. there's a guy near Springfield Missouri building big bore rifles who last i heard has a 1-2 year waiting list. the drawback to these are the price & the access to dive shops to refill you scuba tank. if you're out in the boonies dive shop access might be a problem. there are some hand pumps out there but those are a p.i.t.a.. my rifle was around $900.00 when i got it. i traded some cash & 2 old air rifles for it. it now sells for 1500.00 or more. for your grandson a break barrel would probably be best. it's self contained & is easy to shoot with some practice. prices run from 100.00 to 900.00. if you scope one you need a spring gun ( break barrel ) specific scope. they shoot via forward moving spring piston giving it a forward recoil which will often knock the reticles out of a standard scope. CO2 guns are still good rifles & pistols but you have to buy CO2 cartridges & CO2 looses power in colder temperatures. to answer your question about parts they are still mostly available for older Crosman, Sheridan, & Benjamin rifles if you know where to look. if you ever get an older Benjamin classic DO NOT send it to Crosman for a reseal. a very few of those older guns had minor issues with the safeties & if you send it to them they'll send you a new model. American Airguns website has links for dealers repairmen, forums, & a free classified page. if you're interested I have several old Crosman CO2 rifles & pistols for sale. you can send me a P.M.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

Crosman used sycamore wood for stocks in the 50's and 60's as it was fairly cheap, durable and easy to machine. It takes stains and finishes well. I believe that is what you have on the 160.

WOB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

i'm not sure where the poplar idea came from....old age setting in? although I have seen poplar trim from the 1920's that had been stained with tar mixed with turpentine that almost looked like walnut. sycamore didn't set right with me as I've only ever known it to be for pallets. checked with John Groenewold at JS Airguns. he says mostly ash ( which is what my stock is ) sometimes maple, beech, or birch but never poplar or sycamore. he's been a dealer for at least 30 years so he oughta' know.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next