ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 682 Sporting Safety Problem
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello!

Im new here to this forum and Im also pretty new to owning a Beretta.
Also English is not my mother language so bare with me.

The gun I own is a Beretta 682 Sporting, the one with a black box.
I have a safety problem I need help with, so here goes:

If I choose the lower barrel first, I can fire the gun with the safety ON.
If I choose the top barrel first, the safety works fine.
When I dryfire the shotgun I can feel there is a slight difference in the trigger between the both barrels. The lower barrel that fires even if the safety is on is really sensitive.

I read up, watched a ton of youtube videos and finally decided to take the gun apart to clean it. To my supprise the gun was pretty clean on the inside and that the previous owner had been in there before. I coulnt find any damage to any parts more than your normal wear and tear. Also all springs was fine as far as I could see.

When I assembled the gun I was dryfiring it without the stock to see if I could see anything wrong with it. To my suprise I noticed that the lower barrel dryfired automatically when I closed the gun alittle extra hard or fast. That's how sensitive the lower barrles is for some reason. Also when I choose the upper barrel to dryfire, both barrles fire.

So:
Low barrel first and safety ON, it fires lower barrel.
Top barrel first and safety ON, it dosent fire.

Low barrel first and safety OFF, it fires lower barrel.
Top barrel first and safety OFF, both barrels fire.

Closing the gun to hard/fast makes the lower barrle fire.

Dose anyone have any clue what could be wrong with it?
What parts that I might need to change?

Post subject: Beretta 682 Sporting Safety Problem
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When you fire each of the four settings is the trigger pull the same distance?

It sounds as if you need a rebuild.

That fact that is fires when you close it is the result of very small notches that usually stay together until tripped but the trigger being too worn to do their job.

I’d send it to Cole’s and have them rebuild it. If you are in America anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

Post subject: Re: Beretta 682 Sporting Safety Problem
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

thrashhead wrote:
Hello!

Im new here to this forum and Im also pretty new to owning a Beretta.
Also English is not my mother language so bare with me.

The gun I own is a Beretta 682 Sporting, the one with a black box.
I have a safety problem I need help with, so here goes:

If I choose the lower barrel first, I can fire the gun with the safety ON.
If I choose the top barrel first, the safety works fine.
When I dryfire the shotgun I can feel there is a slight difference in the trigger between the both barrels. The lower barrel that fires even if the safety is on is really sensitive.

I read up, watched a ton of youtube videos and finally decided to take the gun apart to clean it. To my supprise the gun was pretty clean on the inside and that the previous owner had been in there before. I coulnt find any damage to any parts more than your normal wear and tear. Also all springs was fine as far as I could see.

When I assembled the gun I was dryfiring it without the stock to see if I could see anything wrong with it. To my suprise I noticed that the lower barrel dryfired automatically when I closed the gun alittle extra hard or fast. That's how sensitive the lower barrles is for some reason. Also when I choose the upper barrel to dryfire, both barrles fire.

So:

Dose anyone have any clue what could be wrong with it?
What parts that I might need to change?

Welcome to Shotgunworld. Your English is excellent. You've explained the gun problem better than most people who speak English as their native language.

First, I will say that the gun is unsafe to use in its present condition. It should be inspected and repaired by a knowledgeable gunsmith. I believe there may be two different problems with your gun. The first is that neither barrel should fire with the safety on. So there may be something wrong with the safety on the gun.

The second problem is related to the engagement of the hammer sear into the notch on the hammer of the lower barrel. Either this engagement is too slight or the sear spring is too weak or perhaps both.

It's also possible that the internal barrel selector mechanism is not working properly, but I don't really think this is the problem. I think that if the safety problem is fixed and the sear engagement problem on the hammer of the lower barrel is fixed, the gun will probably work just fine.

Good luck with the gun and please keep us posted as to what the gunsmith finds.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The good thing is that the 682 is plenty serviceable and will give you years of good service.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:21 am 
Utility Grade

Hello again and thank you for all the replys!

dcblvsh2 wrote:
When you fire each of the four settings is the trigger pull the same distance?

It sounds as if you need a rebuild.

That fact that is fires when you close it is the result of very small notches that usually stay together until tripped but the trigger being too worn to do their job.

I’d send it to Cole’s and have them rebuild it. If you are in America anyway.

You mean a total rebuild of the whole gun?
Im not from America so I cant send it to Cole's.
Im from Scandinavia, we have some good weapon smiths here but they arent that many, waiting time is very long and it costs a small fortune.

Ulysses wrote:

Welcome to Shotgunworld. Your English is excellent. You've explained the gun problem better than most people who speak English as their native language.

First, I will say that the gun is unsafe to use in its present condition. It should be inspected and repaired by a knowledgeable gunsmith. I believe there may be two different problems with your gun. The first is that neither barrel should fire with the safety on. So there may be something wrong with the safety on the gun.

The second problem is related to the engagement of the hammer sear into the notch on the hammer of the lower barrel. Either this engagement is too slight or the sear spring is too weak or perhaps both.

It's also possible that the internal barrel selector mechanism is not working properly, but I don't really think this is the problem. I think that if the safety problem is fixed and the sear engagement problem on the hammer of the lower barrel is fixed, the gun will probably work just fine.

Good luck with the gun and please keep us posted as to what the gunsmith finds.

Thank you sir!
Yeah I will not use the weapon untill this problem is fixed. As luck would have it I got a Beretta S56E Cal 12 aswell so I can continue to hunt but I only dare to shoot with bird shots or training shots with this old gun. Im wondering if the Beretta S56E and the Beretta 682 has pretty much the same internal parts? If I cant find out what the problem is Im thinking about swappning the components one by one to determine wich parts are causing the problem.

If the problem is the internal barrel selector mechanism, that means Im pretty much out of luck right? I havent seen any videos or anything where people mess around with that part of the gun.

I will open up the gun again and take a better and closer look at everything. Last time I did it I had to assemble the gun again and get to work before taking a really detailed look on it.

Thank you, I will upload some photos I took for my self to keep track of the dis and re assembly.

dcblvsh2 wrote:
The good thing is that the 682 is plenty serviceable and will give you years of good service.

Yeah I really like this gun and the spare parts seems to be good quality and cheap to buy aswell.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:35 am 
Utility Grade

Here are some of the photos I took when I did the disassembly.
I took them for my own sake to keep track of everything so it may not be the best photos too look at. But Ill post them anyways for you to enjoy.

Edit:
Okay uploading pictures on the forum didnt seem to work or Im to stupid to get it right. I tried to upload it on the first best site I found on google instead.
https://imgur.com/a/GbAAp0L

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with Ulysses that the gun is unsafe to use.

The parts you need are available but they all need to be fit by a gunsmith to work correctly. Here is the US it would be about $350 to have one rebuilt. At least that’s the estimate I got from Cole’s for my 682 gold that does require a rebuild.

Unfortunately if you can’t ship it to the States then you’ll have to get in line with your local guy.

You might call Cole’s and see if they have the credentials for you to ship them your gun because they might. I don’t know what your laws are.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I looked at the pictures. It appears that you are quite competent in disassembling the gun and (hopefully) re-assembling the gun. :)

If you wish to take the "part replacement" route to solving the problem rather than a visual examination of the fitment of parts, here is what I suggest.

First, replace the lower barrel sear spring , the lower barrel sear, and the lower barrel hammer. Those are the likely culprits in my opinion (in that order from most likely to least likely).

Try that and see what happens. That might fix it all, but if not, you may need to replace the safety or safety detent spring.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:32 am 
Diamond Grade

I'd also look closely at the inertia block, and spring.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:46 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for all the replys you guys! Very helpful!

dcblvsh2 wrote:
I agree with Ulysses that the gun is unsafe to use.

The parts you need are available but they all need to be fit by a gunsmith to work correctly. Here is the US it would be about $350 to have one rebuilt. At least that’s the estimate I got from Cole’s for my 682 gold that does require a rebuild.

Unfortunately if you can’t ship it to the States then you’ll have to get in line with your local guy.

You might call Cole’s and see if they have the credentials for you to ship them your gun because they might. I don’t know what your laws are.

I will not use the gun untill all the problems are solved.
The country Im from is Sweden, I've found some sites that sell Beretta spare parts for my gun and they ship to Sweden. Beretta guns are pretty popular.
The gun laws here are very strict. I very much doubt that I will be able to ship my gun or even parts of the gun without breaking any laws or risk getting the rest of my guns taken away from me so that is not an option.

My options as I see it is fix it my self, or go to a local gunsmith. I think I will try to fix it my self. Worst case scenario - I've learned a sh*t ton about my gun but I still have to take it to a gunsmith :)
So 350 Dollars for a total rebuild of a similar gun, thank you for the price information! I called a local gunsmith for a price estimate and they coulnt say. I belive it will be much more expensive in my country though, almost too expensive for me Im afraid..
I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes!

Ulysses wrote:
I looked at the pictures. It appears that you are quite competent in disassembling the gun and (hopefully) re-assembling the gun. :)

If you wish to take the "part replacement" route to solving the problem rather than a visual examination of the fitment of parts, here is what I suggest.

First, replace the lower barrel sear spring , the lower barrel sear, and the lower barrel hammer. Those are the likely culprits in my opinion (in that order from most likely to least likely).

Try that and see what happens. That might fix it all, but if not, you may need to replace the safety or safety detent spring.

Thank you! It was my first time taking a gun apart, and the reassemble went fine as well!
I did a second disassemble and reassemble, took alot of pictures I will upload for you guys to enjoy. However when I reassembled the gun that time I lost a pin for a split secound, that panic I felt I wont wish upon my worst enemy! :)

I think I will be taking alittle bit of both routes, visual examination and replacing parts one by one. I am however not very good at this since its my first time taking guns apart, I cant see if parts have taken too much damage to work properly or if its just normal wear and tear.

Lower barrel sear spring, lower barrel sear, lower barrel hammer, got it! Also safety or safety detent spring if its not working. Thanks alot for your input!

I will upload another image album with my second disassembly, take a look at it and see what you think.
This time I took a much closer look and took pictures of everything. I found some intresting or worrying stuff I will explain in the post Im about to do after this one.

painter* wrote:
I'd also look closely at the inertia block, and spring.

Inertia block and spring, thank you very much for your input!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:47 am 
Utility Grade

Hello again everyone!
Thanks alot for all the input, information and help you have given me!

I will upload another image album of my second disassembly in the end of this post.

So, I took apart the gun one more time and took a much more detailed look at all the parts. Also I took alot more and better pictures this time.
Cleaning the gun very carefully and assemble it again did however not fix anything, it still functions as described in the first post.
I found however some intresting or worrying stuff.

Picture 26.
The Sear springs are not the same hight, one seems to be more worn than the other. Also the spring pins to the right seems pretty worn. When assembling the gun parts again, the sears when only resting on the searsprings are at different hight because of this. When the gun is assembled they are under tension so I dont know if this might be a problem or not? The tension the spring gives to the sears must be different because of this.

Picture 32 - 37.
The levers. I dont know if they are called something else? Theese are the levers that the Pawl Selector goes to that you that makes you choose wich barrel to fire first. I hope you know wich parts I mean? Theese levers look extremly worn. Allthough when watching the mechanism go from left to right, the Pawl Selector goes from left lever to right lever, it looks okay to the naked eye. Iam a novice though and someone more experienced might say that this needs replacement directly. I suspect this might have something to do with the malfunction of the gun. What do you guys think?

Picture 44.
Inertia Block Spring.
The spring looks alittle bent, dont know if this might have something to do with the gun malfunctioning. But the bent spring must give less tention to the Inertia Block than it originally have.

I noticed something else when I had assembled the gun as picture 6 and 7.

thrashhead wrote:

"Top barrel first and safety OFF, both barrels fire."
As I mentioned before when I dryfired top barrel first with the safety was off, both barrels or spring hammers fires.
This dose not happen when I fiddle around with the gunparts assembled as picture 6 and 7, the hammers release as they are suppose to and dosent release both at the same time.
Stupid enough I didnt try the same thing when I had the spring hammers on as in picture 4 and 5.

When I assemble the gun even more as picture 2 and 3, but with the barrles on to make a easyer reload. The gun makes the same malfunctions again. Safety dosent work for lower barrel, sometimes both barrels fire when I choose upper barrel first. Also lower barrel goes of when closing the gun harder. And the resistance or sensitivity of the trigger is different when I choose between upper and lower barrel.

So what do you guys think? Anyone got some more input or helpful information I would greatly appreciate it!
Do you guys see anything on the pictures that looks funky that went right past me?
Sorry for all the information and wall of text, but I find this extremly interesting and entertaining :)

Here is the link to my second dissasembly:
https://imgur.com/a/5kX45kL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ok. I certainly don’t want you to break any laws. There are different laws for import and export for different countries. And some of them make no sense.

The levers you show do have a lot of wear. The operation of this receiver and probably all guns is all about those parts mating together. Since the notches are all so tiny the really have to mate well with one another.

If you buy new levers, hammers, and pawl and inertia block you’ll need to file them all carefully to be sure they all mate perfectly. A set of diamond needle files will do the job.

For starters I think if you watch carefully you see something slip off the hammers when you close the gun. The place that slips is certainly a problem.

There are guys here on SGW that are way more knowledgeable about this than I am but I have two 680 series guns and I have poked around a bit with them. Since the parts aren’t terribly expensive I’d order them all. Springs, levers, hammers, inertia block, pal and sears.

Done right this will solve your problems and your trigger creep difference between the two barrels.

There may be somebody that might suggest a different path so we’ll see who chimes in. Otherwise I’m willing to help you through it by showing you how mine looks with pictures but it would be easier though direct email.

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:08 pm 
Utility Grade

dcblvsh2 wrote:
Ok. I certainly don’t want you to break any laws. There are different laws for import and export for different countries. And some of them make no sense.

The levers you show do have a lot of wear. The operation of this receiver and probably all guns is all about those parts mating together. Since the notches are all so tiny the really have to mate well with one another.

If you buy new levers, hammers, and pawl and inertia block you’ll need to file them all carefully to be sure they all mate perfectly. A set of diamond needle files will do the job.

For starters I think if you watch carefully you see something slip off the hammers when you close the gun. The place that slips is certainly a problem.

There are guys here on SGW that are way more knowledgeable about this than I am but I have two 680 series guns and I have poked around a bit with them. Since the parts aren’t terribly expensive I’d order them all. Springs, levers, hammers, inertia block, pal and sears.

Done right this will solve your problems and your trigger creep difference between the two barrels.

There may be somebody that might suggest a different path so we’ll see who chimes in. Otherwise I’m willing to help you through it by showing you how mine looks with pictures but it would be easier though direct email.

Doug

Hello Doug!
Thank you for the reply!

Yeah the laws over here are sometimes pretty wierd and very strict. Just recently we are allowed to use silencers, nightvision etc while hunting while the rest of the world have been using it forever.
Also just owning a gun is a ton of paperwork and sending in the paperwork to the local police department wich will take anything from four months to eight months for a reply or an OK. I guess shipping a gun or parts of it will take more or less forever if it is even allowed at all :)

Ahh thank you for the information! I read something about that on a site with spare parts, "parts may need to be filed down" or something like that. Havent really thought about that untill now when you brought it up. Guess I have to get some diamond needle files aswell.

I've tried to close the gun slowly to see where "it" happens but I cant seem to find it.
I think Im going with your suggestion, buy all the replacement parts and swap them out. The gun is from 1992 and I dont think much has been changes in the gun since then. I got the gun very cheap so I could spend som love and money on it and it will last me my life time. But Ill sit back for afew days and think about it, check som parts and see if anyone else comments on this thread.

Speaking of parts... check this out..
When I was looking around for replacement parts I didnt think that the hammers looked quite right on the picture compaired to mine. So I went and looked up the hammers on the 686 aswell and I belive I have hammers from a 686 in my 682 gun.

Beretta Hammers for 682:
http://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/beretta ... randunder/

My Beretta 682 Gold Super Sport 1992
Look at Picture 38 - 43 https://imgur.com/a/5kX45kL

Beretta Hammers for 686
http://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/beretta ... 86-series/

If I order new hammers, wich one should I get? I feel alittle lost hehe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

thrashhead wrote:
dcblvsh2 wrote:

Doug

Hello Doug!
Thank you for the reply!

Yeah the laws over here are sometimes pretty wierd and very strict. Just recently we are allowed to use silencers, nightvision etc while hunting while the rest of the world have been using it forever.
Also just owning a gun is a ton of paperwork and sending in the paperwork to the local police department wich will take anything from four months to eight months for a reply or an OK. I guess shipping a gun or parts of it will take more or less forever if it is even allowed at all :)

Ahh thank you for the information! I read something about that on a site with spare parts, "parts may need to be filed down" or something like that. Havent really thought about that untill now when you brought it up. Guess I have to get some diamond needle files aswell.

I've tried to close the gun slowly to see where "it" happens but I cant seem to find it.
I think Im going with your suggestion, buy all the replacement parts and swap them out. The gun is from 1992 and I dont think much has been changes in the gun since then. I got the gun very cheap so I could spend som love and money on it and it will last me my life time. But Ill sit back for afew days and think about it, check som parts and see if anyone else comments on this thread.

Speaking of parts... check this out..
When I was looking around for replacement parts I didnt think that the hammers looked quite right on the picture compaired to mine. So I went and looked up the hammers on the 686 aswell and I belive I have hammers from a 686 in my 682 gun.

Beretta Hammers for 682:

My Beretta 682 Gold Super Sport 1992
Look at Picture 38 - 43 https://imgur.com/a/5kX45kL

Beretta Hammers for 686

If I order new hammers, wich one should I get? I feel alittle lost hehe

It appears that the hammers that are shown for the 686 have an extra sear notch compared to the 682 hammers. I don't know if that extra notch is intended for safety purposes. If so, it doesn't appear to be working as such in your gun. Or, whether the extra notch is for the purpose of keeping the hammers slightly retracted from the firing pin when the hammer isn't at full cock.

Since your gun is a 682 and if all the other internal parts in your gun seem consistent with what you would expect to find in a 682, then I would definitely order new 682 hammers. Perhaps the reason your gun isn't working as it should is because it has the wrong hammers in it. :idea: :idea: Perhaps some previous owner needed new hammers for some reason and 686 hammers were all that he could find at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:11 pm 
Crown Grade

I wonder if the difference in the hammers is the type of trigger - SST (select single trigger) or non-select single trigger?

One of Many

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I hadn’t thought about that John. And I’m glad you joined in on this because you have always had good information on posts like these.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:34 pm 
Crown Grade

There does seem to be a difference in 680 series field gun hammers and 680 series competition gun hammers. Different manufactures part no. I do not know what the physical difference is between them, perhaps just weight (?). The sears themselves are the same part numbers for field vs competition. I'd order the competition hammers, sears, and connecting rods, and all pins and springs.

Friend of mine had a gun that had a worn hammer pin - the hammers had enough play in them they were actually hitting each other.

I've no idea on fitting them, start slow and work the sears/connecting rods so they engage and trip properly before moving on to hammers/ sears. Then move on to the inertia block and pawl.

Seems to me it has to be in the connecting rods to sear fit & function. The safety is basically a trigger block that keeps the trigger from lifting and moving the connecting rods causing whichever one is active to release the sear. Somehow both sears are being released with just the slightest pressure on the trigger. I'd guess wear and / or loose pins are allowing enough movement to release the sears. But that is a wild a$$ guess on my part.

I have to believe somewhere in Europe there is a Beretta authorized service center that can rebuild a trigger group properly. It's a hugely popular gun, there has to be service centers that cater to it.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:34 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you guys for all the replys!

No idea what the difference in the hammers is, but there must be something, maybe weight as you say?
I compaired the different parts and thier part numbers between 682 and 686 and some of them are the same.

I guess my gun is somewhat like your friends, some parts are damaged or have to much wear and tear to work properly. But I belive my hammers are pretty much ok.

I ordered new parts from omps2, looked like they had spare parts for every 682 version there is. I ordered basically every part I could, even pins and rods. So I hope the hammers are correct, if they arent I dont think the old hammers are too bad to use again.

Once I got my stuff I will do another update, with alot of pictures and stuff for you guys to watch if you want.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:58 am 
Utility Grade

Hello once again everyone!

Just wanted to post an update and thank everyone for all the help and good feedback!

I got my parcel with spare parts on Friday and been replacing parts in my Beretta 682 all Saturday. Some items they didnt have in stock and unfortunately I didnt get all the exact items that I ordered (safety pin & lever pin) so I had to use the old ones.

When inspecting each and every part more closely than before I still cannot pinpoint exactly why I could fire even when the safety turned ON. It was probably a series of things. What I could see was that one of the hammers was very worn, when connected to the sear there was not much metal left that was toching eachother, the fit between the parts was really bad. Also when cocked and with pressure from the springs i recon they could have gone off with a slight bump even. Also the springs for the sears and the intertia block spring was in a really bad shape, the spring for the intertia rest was in ok condition but I changed it anyway.

So, now my gun works again like never before!
Thanks again everyone for the information and good feedback!

Oh, and here is a picture of the new and the old parts.
https://imgur.com/a/Z4fZYo8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nice!