ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A400 Excell wKO not fitting. Graco?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:49 pm 
Utility Grade

So I have been trying to make my A400 parallel target shoot where I want it to but it just isn't happening. I am using the #65 shim kit and still shooting way higher than I want. Mounted up I see all the rib and some of the receiver, I have a long neck as well as arms legs and torso. :lol: I shoot SC 99.9% of the time so a 60/40 is what I am after. I like the recoil reduction of the factory KO system so my question is could I install a Graco adjustable buttplate system on it and use the KO or would I need to go a different route? LOP of 15"+ would still fit me so not sure if I would need to cut down the stock or not. Thanks

Post subject: Re: A400 Excell wKO not fitting. Graco?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

https://stockpositioning.com/products/s ... ly-black-2

I was looking into this have same gun. But I haven't had time to mess with it. Its been a safe queen. Shoots high for me to.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:00 pm 
Crown Grade

There are some folks who make shims with more drop. You might look into that before spending more on a Graco.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks. I think I have the biggest shim I can use at 65. I've heard of someone making a 70 but I don't think that will help enough and I worry about too much stress on the stock. Well I guess I'll just relegate the A400 to trap shooting and get another gun for sporting clays or get the adjustable buttpad that Unclefish linked to. Thanks again

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:25 pm 
Crown Grade

How is the gun shooting now? You didn’t say. Based on what you are seeing, it should be shooting high.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:43 pm 
Utility Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
How is the gun shooting now? You didn’t say. Based on what you are seeing, it should be shooting high.

Yes it shoots high for me, much higher than I like for sporting clays.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Brettitt41 wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:

Yes it shoots high for me, much higher than I like for sporting clays.

So you need to lower your face on the gun. Perhaps you could shave off some height from the comb. Make you eye even with the rib your standard base position. Now is the comb too high above your cheek pocket. If so, you will need to shave some off. If the butt pad is too high, you might want to put in an adjustable one and lower it. But the comb at the cheek pocket and the eye at the rib are absolute requirements.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:25 am 
Limited Edition

I, like many people, have tried to make a Parallel Target work for sporting. They just shoot too high for most people. Sell it and get an A400 Sporting with the KO. That's what I did and I am extremely happy.
Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

since you cannot lower the comb any farther, raise the rib. That will allow your eye to look only slightly down onto it and will lower the gun's POI.

You can experiment with this concept by taping a temporary add-on rib by using a strip of wood. Balsa is the easiest to work with but any species will work.

Cut a strip approximately the length and width of your existing rib and tape it on, You will need to experiment to determine the additional rib height; then pattern the gun at your chosen target distance to see if the POI is satisfactory.

It will be easier if you pattern at 13 yards since the pattern is much smaller making it easier to find the center of the pattern. Shoot a at dot using a solid rest as if you were shooting a target rifle. Squeeze off each shot.

Measure the distance from the center of the dot to the center of the pattern and multiply to compensate for the difference between 13 yards and your target distance (2.something) probably.

When you find the height of the rib you need, contact http://addarib,com. They will sell you a rib with the height and length that you need. They attach successfully with double sided tape.

With your long neck, look into adding a "pad adjuster" so the pad can be lowered to eliminate the need to lean your neck forward to put your cheek on the comb. The goas is a naturally erect head and neck posture. (The 100-Straight and the Jones are two such adjusters.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

Last edited by Rollin Oswald on Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Rollin! That gives me some ideas on how to fit the gun better to me and make it more useful for my purpose.

Rollin Oswald wrote:
since you cannot lower the comb any farther, raise the rib. That will allow your eye to look only slightly down onto it and will lower the gun's POI.

You can experiment with this concept by taping a temporary add-on rib by using a strip of wood. Balsa is the easiest to work with but any species will work.

Cut a strip approximately the length and width of your existing rib and tape it on, You will need to experiment to determine the additional rib height; then pattern the gun at your chosen target distance to see if the POI is satisfactory.

It will be easier if you pattern at 13 yards since the pattern is much smaller making it easier to find the center of the pattern. Shoot a at dot using a solid rest as if you were shooting a target rifle. Squeeze off each shot.

Measure the distance from the center of the dot to the center of the pattern and multiply to compensate for the difference between 13 yards and your target distance (2.something) probably.

When you find the height of the rib you need, contact http://addarib,com. They will sell you a rib with the height and length that you need. They attach successfully with double sided tape.

With your long neck, look into adding a "pad adjuster" so the pad can be lowered to eliminate the need to lean your neck forward to put your cheek on the comb. The goas is a naturally erect head and neck posture. (The 100-Straight and the Jones are two such adjusters.

Rollin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

Had the same problem you have. The way my gunfitter fixed the issue was to use two shims where the stock mates to the receiver.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:08 am 
Crown Grade

tuf-duc wrote:
Had the same problem you have. The way my gunfitter fixed the issue was to use two shims where the stock mates to the receiver.

Not recommended.