ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: REmington 1100 recoil pad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:06 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a late 70's 1100 12 gauge. it has the thin hard plastic butt plate with a white line spacer. I bought a red classic trap vented recoil pad from Remington. the tech guy said it would work with minimum fitting so I ordered it. problem is that my stock has a slight curve at the butt. the part of the pad that meets the stock is a hair under 1/4" & is rigid plastic so the pad won't bend. so it looks like my option are to (1) grind the pad to match the stock. if I do that the black layer won't be an even line & i'm not sure how that will look, (2) sand the stock flat & kill the originality of the gun which i'd rather not do. (3) buy another pad? if I buy another pad which pads are flexible?

Post subject: Re: REmington 1100 recoil pad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I put a Kick-Eez on a Citori with a curved stock.
The plastic part of the pad was thick enough to match the curve of the stock.
It came out pretty decent, not perfect, but it can be done.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:43 am 
Diamond Grade

Kickeez says their pads can be bent up to 1/4 inch. Check out the FAQ page on their site for instructions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:54 am 
Crown Grade

I had the same issue on a 60's era Beretta O/U and had to resort to having the butt squared off before adding a pad. Not sure why some makers put those curved butts on guns.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:20 am 
Utility Grade

I inherited a 1956 870 Wingmaster from my Dad who passed just a year ago. The gun is in very mint condition, also had the curved stock with hard butt plate. I didn’t want to cut the stock or destroy the originality either. I sent the stock to Tron, he recommended installing a microcell pad. Turned out great. I finally shot a round of sporting clays with it 2 weeks ago, a year after his passing. I probably won’t shoot this gun a lot but when I want to take it out for a spin the pad definitely makes it a more enjoyable experience. Check out Tronspace out of Michigan, great service.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:38 am 
Diamond Grade

You could try a black spacer 1/4 thick. Sand the curve into it. Experiment on some scrap plastic, you won't be out anything.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:49 am 
Diamond Grade

I have heated KickEez pads in hot water, bent the curve in the pad and let cool. If you do not get the curve right the first time, you can re heat.
I would guess the same can be done with the Rem pad.
I have not tired a heat gun, but would not be afraid to give it a try.
Not a fan of cutting the stock.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:41 am 
Tournament Grade

mcfarmer- I'm a believer in making test pieces before using actual pieces, especially when you only have 1 shot at it. I'm a retired union carpenter & have seen a lot of mis-cut lumber & trim over the years & 'usually' not by me! I also repair stringed instruments & work on stocks so I often only get 1 shot at something. I'll try heating it in hot water & clamping it to a block of wood. I'll cut the curve in the block a little bit heavy to allow for some rebound when the clamp comes off. I'd be leery of using a heat gun on plastic. thanks for the input y'all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:17 am 
Crown Grade

Ive had good luck with a heat gun

NSCA Level II Instructor
CSM/TRACS Certified Instructor
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

cfoster- I have too but it likes cooking a roux for gumbo. you're stirring the flour into super hot oil & you want that deep maroon color. 2 seconds too long & it's burnt & you have to start all over. with this pad I only have 1 shot so I'll play it safe.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

A hairdryer is a tamed down heat gun but will take longer and won't damage nearly as easy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

railroad wrote:
I have heated KickEez pads in hot water, bent the curve in the pad and let cool. If you do not get the curve right the first time, you can re heat.
I would guess the same can be done with the Rem pad.

^^^^This.^^^^

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I brought a pan of water to a boil, turned off the heat, dropped the pad in, let sit for 10 minutes, & took it out to the shop to bend. got too frisky with the clamp so I reheated it & tried again. let it cool for an hour & now it looks like it grew there. now I have to scribe & grind it to fit. I have to bottle & deliver some honey today so I'll try to get back to it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:21 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

A pad is going to increase the length of pull by a substantial amount. Generally, to keep the gun shootable, you need to cut the wood back a bit anyway. I use a fine tooth blade on a compound miter saw to cut a sliver off the buttstock. That keeps the length of pull at my target value and gives me a flat surface to mount a pad on. Then grind the pad to fit. Prefit pads generally look terrible.

Bill Jacobs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

I screwed the pad to the stock & the L.O.P. to scribe it & it felt fine. I have orangutan arms.