ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smith and wesson 1000 (12ga) gunsmith help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:34 pm 
Utility Grade

So a few years ago i picked up a s/w 1000 in 12ga. I replaced the rubber bumper in the mag tube and it shot flawlessly. Over time I think the piston sliding back and forth mess up the mag tube. I can no longer get my barrel off. I have looked for another mag tube but cannot find one at a reasonable price. I live in southern ca. Anyone know a place I can get this fixed. Just don't want the cost or repair to exceed the cost of the shotgun.

Post subject: Re: Smith and wesson 1000 (12ga) gunsmith help
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:55 pm 
Field Grade

Lone Star guns in Dallas had parts for all the 1000's if they are still around. The magazine tubes rust up due to condensation and the bushing melts away and gums up the piston. Spray it down and let it set for a few days with WD 40. Once you get apart, polish the mag tube. if it is pitted really bad you will have to replace it. I have use navel jelly to kill the rust if not pitted to bad. Use a garden hose washer for the buffer and it will last forever. Shoot it wet with Break-free.I shot a super skeet for years in tournaments and never had any trouble but the hunting guns that are shot 2 or 3 times a year are the ones that would gum up and rust.
Thanks Bobby