ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts or opinions on a "non-solvent"?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Have any of you smiths or knowledgeable maintenance guys tried a product called Super Lube Super Kleen?
It's by Synco, makers of Super Lube, and is apparently a water-based, high-alkaline "non-solvent" degreaser. If I'm reading correctly, it's only hazmat ingredients are ethoxylated alcohols (C-10, C-16), the main caution for which seems to be keeping it out of one's eyes.
I'm thinking this might be a nice bench product for areas where you can readily reach and remove what you use (that is wipe dry). So, no, I'm not thinking a bore solvent, but more of general cleaner.
I have noticed a few things straight off: It cuts grease very well, it's not skin irritating, and it doesn't smell bad.
At worst, I'm thinking it can't be any more "harmful" or "bad" for gun metals than water-based cleaners like MPro7 and Hoppe's Elite ... but I'm certainly no chemist.
Throwing the manufacturer's description and the SDS links below.
Any thoughts from you more learned gents?

https://www.super-lube.com/super-kleen

https://www.super-lube.com/Content/Imag ... EN_sds.pdf

Post subject: Re: Thoughts or opinions on a "non-solvent"?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:46 am 
Diamond Grade

Sounds like ballistol to me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:59 am 
Crown Grade

Or Simple Green

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

More like Simple Green than Ballistol, near as I can tell.
Ballistol is "medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil from vegetal seeds."
This stuff is lighter or not as thick as Simple Green, and it's clear and apparently no scent added ... might work on same principle, though. I'll pull the SDS on Simple Green and compare.
I have used Simple Green on some gun chores. It works. Do know it should be wiped off immediately from any aluminum and some alloys.
One thing that did strike me as favorable on the Super Kleen ... mild on skin. I had grease on my hands and spritzed a couple sprays of it, rubbed and wiped off with a paper towel ... clean, clear and dry, quickly. Killed the grease. Naturally, then washed my hands with ordinary soap.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:55 am 
Crown Grade

When I ad grease on my hands, I found washing them with Dawn cut right through the grease. Might a solution of that work for you as well?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:
When I ad grease on my hands, I found washing them with Dawn cut right through the grease. Might a solution of that work for you as well?

Certainly. Got the little blue bottle of Dawn right next to the sink, and always use it after I'm done messing around on the bench and have put everything up.
Was eyeballing this Super Kieen as simply a light cleaner to keep on the bench in place of Simple Green.
Would be more for parts than for my hands, but did get some of the red Shooters Choice grease on me mitts the other night and just thought I'd give this stuff a go just for the heck of it and see what happened. Worked well. Might be handy to have when you want to just get some gunk off but stay at the bench and keep truckin'.
I actually probably shouldn't do such impromptu experiments, but I'm sort of a goof sometimes.
I also should probably wear latex or nitrile gloves more than I do ... but I seem to remember 'em only when engaging in an actual project of some duration. Generally when I clean a gun or two, I usually find myself all done and then go, "Probably should have worn gloves."
But then I just go to the sink, use the Dawn and forget about it.

Last edited by MGF on Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sounds like a good candidate for the ultrasonic cleaner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sounds like a good candidate for the ultrasonic cleaner