ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 88 forend conversion help and some spare parts.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:50 am 
Utility Grade

Hi everyone! I recently rescued a beat-up Mossberg "Maverick" model 88 12-Gauge shotgun from the local pawn-shop. I decided I wanted to modify it a bit, and some casual conversation with some shotgun buddies led me to believe I could put a MagPul forend on without too much issue.
So I purchased a Mag494 forend, which is listed as fitting the M590/590A shotguns. My buddies said it would also fit a M500, and hence the model 88. When it came in I had the shotgun disassembled, and so immediately noticed that the MagPul forend did not have the 'pinned' slides as does the original model 88 forend.
Some research eased my worry when I discovered that I simply needed to purchase a "slide-tube assembly" and locknut to install the MagPul forend. That worry returned when I started seeing advertisements for 6 1/2" and 7 5/8" assemblies. Even more reading reveals that although several sources state that both lengths will fit a model 88, NO ONE actually states that they've successfully used one length or the other.
It seems to me that the forend should dictate the length required, but I'm just not sure. I've sent a message to MagPul, and to Havlin Sales, but probably won't hear from them until Monday or Tuesday.
As long as everything works out, I will have a model 88 black stock, forend, and barrel available if anyone out there needs one. I also have a plastic heatshield and an AIM Sports 6-shell side-saddle carrier(mounts to receiver) I'm not going to use. The reconditioning of the receiver went better than expected, and I just don't want to cover up that nice stamp!
As for "reconditioning"; I know I'll get some flak, but I'm really happy with the results. I've done a beat-up M500 and now this M88 with 'DupliColor' black "Truck Bed Coating". Yes, spray-on bed-liner! The M500 is my 'carry', and was done last year in May. It's been in my vehicle or on my back since, and the finish is holding up pretty well.

So far the M88 is looking as good or better, and if you all can help me get the correct length for that "slide-tube assembly" I'll post photographs of it as well!

Thanks for reading!

Rick
Retired USN

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 88 forend conversion help and some spare parts.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Mine is 7-5/8"

I converted mine from a field gun to a whippet (the table tiles are 6"x6")