ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pure Tung Oil - Finishing Inside of Buttstock
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am finishing a buttstock and forestock for a pump shotgun. It’s a new 3d party walnut stock. I’ve read how it is best to finish the interior of the stocks. It certainly makes sense to do that to protect from moisture damage.

My questions are:

1. How to apply it? and

2. How to rub the finish to prevent tackiness?

What tools to use for the interior?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Pure Tung Oil - Finishing Inside of Buttstock
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

I don’t know why tung oil would remain tacky. Brush or wipe it on, it should harden I would think.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've used spray on shellac, taping off the finished areas of the stock/forend and applying a light coat or two. It seals the wood completely and is a lot easier than applying oil by hand.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:33 am 
Tournament Grade

I agree that Tung Oil should dry tack-free, but I'd wipe it on with a small piece of cloth, not a brush, and would check it 1/2 hour later.

Most "Tung Oil" sold retail today is not "pure" Tung Oil, but it still works pretty well; myself, I prefer to use the satin/low-gloss finish.

Old No7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In the past, I have used thinned spar varnish. Today, I would use thinned polyurethane. It would soak into the raw wood better and also reinforce the grain and resist gun oil soaking into end grain more deeply.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the replies.

However, I’m using pure tung oil. Note the subject title, but no doubt I should have made it clearer. I’m pretty sure that pure tung oil will be tacky if it’s not rubbed in within 30-45 minutes after application. If anyone knows that’s wrong, please set me straight.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

Not sure why you are stuck on using pure tung oil. Pretty much anything will work and why not go with a generic wiping oil with some hardeners? True oil is tried and true, pretty much at any big box hunting/shooting store and can be applied in thin coats with a soft cotton cloth. Otherwise go to your big box lumbar yard and get a small bottle of Hormer Formbys tung oil with hardeners. Same deal. Lots of thin coats with a soft cotton cloth. If you want deep penetration thin out the wiping oil with a small amount of mineral spirts for first coat or two.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

“ Most important, of all the oil finishes, tung oil is the only drying oil that polymerizes 100% (completely hardens). ”

From Wikipedia.

“ The traditional technique for applying pure tung oil is to dilute the oil 1:1 with solvent, then apply a succession of very thin films with a soft, lint-free cloth such as tee-shirt cotton. ”

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

McFarmer, are you saying that if I apply a 1:1 ratio of pure tung oil to mineral spirits, it won’t become tacky should I not rub it off?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:09 pm 
Field Grade

Dem-bart continental-style checkering and stock oil is a tung oil based product that works great and it dries hard to the touch in 24hrs or less. I was told by the company that the product is tung oil mixed with japan dryer (which is naptha + cobalt).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Rattler wrote:
McFarmer, are you saying that if I apply a 1:1 ratio of pure tung oil to mineral spirits, it won’t become tacky should I not rub it off?

Thanks again.

That is my understanding. Might want to try on some scrap wood first.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The interior wood I apply with my fingers. The butt of the stock and the bolt hole, I use an old oil painting brush. I also apply the oil under the forearm with my fingers, a very light coat. The other members have given you good advice about the wood that can be seen.

I use Tung oil as it comes without thinning it. Give it plenty of time to dry between coats.

I’ve learned … That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks so much for all of the help and advice.