ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca/SKB 500
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:08 am 
Field Grade

anyone had Mike Orlen do one of these guns? I have a 500 F/M that I really want choke tubes in for upland game birds. Do members here still get a discount?

Post subject: Re: Ithaca/SKB 500
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The best thing to do is measure your barrels as best you can and compare the results to the chart on Mike's price list. It's possible that you don't have enough meat on your tubes for thinwall chokes. If not, Mike can certainly open the chokes to more open constrictions.

What I would do is calculate the cost for either job -- opening chokes or installing tubes (plus cost of tubes) -- write Mike a note making your request. Tell him you'd prefer screw-ins if possible but give him the option of simply opening the chokes if he feels that's best. Let him know what fixed chokes you'd like if that's the best approach. Then write two checks -- one for the fixed choke work, the second to cover the additional cost for the tube work/tubes. Pack the barrels up with the note and checks and mail them off to Mike. Then wait about a week-10 days and see what comes home.

MIke does good work but he won't do what shouldn't be done. I'd leave it up to him.

Don't mess with emailing him. He won't respond. You can call him but he'll probably tell you he needs to have the barrels in hand before he can comment. Honestly, it's best to just send him the barrels and let him do his thing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

I bought an Ithaca/SKB. 600 F/M for my nephew and sent it to Mike for choke tubes. Excellent job and the turn around was incredible. I agree with sending two checks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:38 pm 
Field Grade

capttjsjr did he do tubes for your gun?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yes, Colonial thin walls. Bladeswitcher gave you excellent advice , follow that and you should end up happy . Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mike Orlen installed Colonial thin walls in my Ithaca/SKB 600. The price was great, the turnaround time was exceptionally fast and the work has been wholly satisfactory.