ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Measuring choke
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:18 pm 
Field Grade

The way I measure chokes with a dial bore gauge is .....
I slide the bore gauge into the end of barrel 10” or so ,zero out the gauge and pull to end of barrel and if it goes to 10/1000 the barrel has 10/1000of choke.
Is this correct way to measure chokes.
And would you do it the same way with screw in chokes.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Measuring choke
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes that'll do it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:38 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the reply
The reason for the question is I was measuring a friends japanese A5 1970s barrel with a screw in chokes
The difference between barrel and choke was 10/1000 and the choke has three notch’s which is a mod screw in. So really it is a Imp choke in that barrel.
A full choke 1 notch measured 20/1000 really a mod
Never thought they would be that far off.
I have older A 5 barreled guns without screw in chokes and they measure as marked on barrel 30 to 35 full ,around 20 mod, around 10 Imp.
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:14 am 
Crown Grade

"Choke constriction" is all relative to the barrel bore diameter anyway, and soo many people have no idea the allowable range of bore diameters for a shotgun barrel.
Put a 'skeet' choke .005" tighter than minimum into a maximum-bored barrel and you have a Full Choke.

Actual Choke PERFORMANCE on the other hand is purely a result of what the ammo does, not the result of the letters etched or notches cut into the tube itself, or roll marked on the barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When you get down to the very open chokes like skeet, for instance, the difference in the skirt diameter and the choke diameter is probably a better indicator of performance than the difference in the minimum choke diameter and the bore diameter. Open chokes you just pretty much have to shoot to see what they are actually doing.