ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 500A Shotgun Red Dot Under Tang Safety
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:30 pm 
Utility Grade

The red dot under the tang safety on my Mossberg 500A has worn off. When I contacted Mossberg about replacing it, they said the red dot was painted on. I'm not sure this is completely the case. When I look down the hole were the red dot should be (the hole is about 1/8" in diameter), it is recessed about 1/8" deep and there is a pin in the center of the hole. It almost looks as though something goes over the pin that might have been painted red.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing/painting the red dot under the tang safety? Any assistance or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 500A Shotgun Red Dot Under Tang Safety
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Your significant other has fingernail polish?

Degrease the hole first.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Alternatively, plastic model enamel paint.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

For a permanent repair, use a little clear epoxy ( Devcon 2-ton or similar)colored red with a dab of plastic model paint or artist's red oil paint. if you don't have paint, get a common red pencil and sand the lead to get some fine red powder to mix in the epoxy. It doesn't take much of either to get a nice red epoxy paint. Degrease the hole and apply the epoxy with a toothpick. Once cured it is tough and solvent proof.

WOB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:37 pm 
Crown Grade

jerlin62 wrote:

The red dot under the tang safety on my Mossberg 500A has worn off.

When I look down the hole were the red dot should be (the hole is about 1/8" in diameter), it is recessed about 1/8" deep and there is a pin in the center of the hole.

Welcome to SGW ! !

The exposed hole's a very dangerous condition, and you should send me the gun so I can determine it's true safety over the next year or so...… ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:11 pm 
Utility Grade

jerlin62 wrote:
The red dot under the tang safety on my Mossberg 500A has worn off. When I contacted Mossberg about replacing it, they said the red dot was painted on. I'm not sure this is completely the case. When I look down the hole were the red dot should be (the hole is about 1/8" in diameter), it is recessed about 1/8" deep and there is a pin in the center of the hole. It almost looks as though something goes over the pin that might have been painted red.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing/painting the red dot under the tang safety? Any assistance or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

HavlinSales. 636 -937 -6401 They are Mossberg experts. Like to talk. A buck a piece -come in green, and red. You should have 2 holes behind the safety An old Mossberger.