ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paste Wax on gun finishes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

I believe that I read a few times that some people use paste wax on gun finishes as a layer of protections.

My questions are:

Is this for wood, metal or both?
On wood what type of finishes is it suggested? Varnish, Poly, Linseed Oil, TruOil, others?
Is there any type of finish that should never be paste waxed?

Post subject: Re: Patse Wax on gun finishes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:14 pm 
Field Grade

From a post of mine in December 2019

Pretty sure that on the Browning Citori factory Grade 1 stocks, they used a high gloss urethane type finish. I don't think Browning used a rubbed oil finish in the Citori line until you got to Grade 3 and higher grade wood.

Yes, some guys use a furniture polish over the high gloss urethane finish. Some use a car wax or similar. I prefer the Renaissance brand wax.

On a hand rubbed oil finish most guys would use a tung oil or boiled linseed oil mix or a Tru oil finish.

You might want to check out the Gunsmithing forum for stock restoration discussions.

And yes, the Renaissance brand wax can be used on the wood furniture and the metal whether blued or not. [There is a Larry Potterfield video on Midway USA of him applying it to wood and to blued metal] I am not sure how well it would work on an oiled finish.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

simslax wrote:
the Renaissance brand wax can be used on the wood furniture and the metal whether blued or not.

Another vote :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

+2 on the Renaissance wax.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:59 pm 
Crown Grade

While RW is an excellent product, IMO you are wasting it on a Browning poly finish, which is one of - if not THE - toughest finishes around. Save the RW for oiled stock finishes

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a 725 HR adj,32"O/U shotgun and emailed Browning as to ask them what kind of finish the stock had so I would know what was the best way to maintain it as they state in owners manual.
I also included my serial # and they responded to me that it was " Your gun has a Gloss oil Finish."
So Im planning to steel wool#0000 and Teak Oil it down as I saw on one of the forums and then after 10 or so days, after Teak treatment use the paste wax steel and wood

Winchester Model 59 Winlite 30"full 12ga
Ithaca Goose Gun Bolt action 36"12ga
Pride of Spain DB 10ga
Mossberg 410 ga
NRA Life Member since 2000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

From the response it sounds like there is mixed feelings about putting paste wax over oil. Some indicate tgey wouldnt, while others say they do it?

Anybody want to share their thinking on the two perspectives?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:50 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
While RW is an excellent product, IMO you are wasting it on a Browning poly finish, which is one of - if not THE - toughest finishes around. Save the RW for oiled stock finishes

Eh.....I don't know about that 1oz. If that were the case, there'd be no need to ever wax that showroom lacquer shine on your nice new Corvette. :cry: Even high gloss poly/lacquer finishes would benefit from a coat of RW or similar. An occasional coat will not only protect from sweat and other oxidants, it'll bring out the luster and shine, to keep that finish looking real purrrrrdy....lol. I actually use a spritz or two of any automotive Quick Detailer on a cloth between waxings (every coupla months or so)................................

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

WOWSERS My friend {hs# :D

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Damn Cheecho , beautiful ! You gonna throw a coat of something on that deck too ? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have refinished a number of stocks. Inspired initially by Midway’s video by Larry Potterfield, I wax them periodically with Renaissance wax. Each were refinished with rubbed in oil, BLO, Pure Tung Oil, Pilkington’s, and Permalyn. 4 weeks after the last application of finish, I applied Renaissance to each one, and thereafter, at least once per year. I never had any problems.

I’m just finishing my 3d stock with pure tung oil. 4 weeks after the last application, I will apply Renaissance for shine and protection.

I’ve read a lot about this subject. This is the first time I’ve read that Wax does not work well with rubbed in oils. My experience is to the contrary.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Wax is fine with any oil finish I’ve used on furniture. The oil will catalyze and be non reactive when cured. What I’ve been told anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:46 pm 
Crown Grade

captjsjr wrote:
Damn Cheecho , beautiful ! You gonna throw a coat of something on that deck too ? :lol:

It was either the stock or a new deck, so yea cap, I suppose the deck could use a coat of Thompson's..... :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:44 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. How is the renaissance wax different from other furniture wax, like Johnsons paste wax???

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:50 am 
Diamond Grade

Ease of use I think. I use this: Goddard Cabinet Wax.

I think the key is to use something that has wax in it, many do not. Either bees wax or another I can think of right now. I spray it on a cloth and wipe it on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:33 am 
Crown Grade

RW has the advantage of being specially formulated so it does not crack, yellow or cause issues with any metals, wood, ivory, leather, etc. I have used it and still do sometimes. It is a good product.

However for wood, I use Paste Finishing Wax by Minwax. I have used it on metal also but now I use it mostly just for the wood. It was designed for and does an excellent job of protecting the wood and imparting a low luster. The primary reason I use it more now than Renaissance Wax, is that it has very little odor. RW has a pretty noticeable odor and if using it in my house; it is not welcome. :( :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Be careful with some paste waxes around the checkering.

Cheecho, How are you my friend? This morning they canceled the Lobster Open at Peconic fir June!

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:54 am 
Crown Grade

rkittine wrote:
Be careful with some paste waxes around the checkering.

Cheecho, How are you my friend? This morning they canceled the Lobster Open at Peconic fir June!

Bob

Yes of course, but I thought that was why we repurposed old, used tooth brushes. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:02 am 
Crown Grade

cheecho1960 wrote:
oneounceload wrote:

Eh.....I don't know about that 1oz. If that were the case, there'd be no need to ever wax that showroom lacquer shine on your nice new Corvette. :cry: Even high gloss poly/lacquer finishes would benefit from a coat of RW or similar. An occasional coat will not only protect from sweat and other oxidants, it'll bring out the luster and shine, to keep that finish looking real purrrrrdy....lol. I actually use a spritz or two of any automotive Quick Detailer on a cloth between waxings (every coupla months or so)................................

I do not believe Browning uses a lacquer. When I had a good gunsmith repair and refinish a stock on an Ultra XS, he mentioned he had to buy a special stripping agent because of how hard and durable Browning's finish is (NOT talking about oil finishes) and because the stuff he used on every other make couldn't do the job - so that is why I said what I did

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:07 am 
Crown Grade

I am pretty sure Browning's current finish is epoxy based. Oneounceload is right. It is really tough to strip off!!! :shock: