ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Patse Wax on gun finishes
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:46 am 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
While RW is an excellent product, IMO you are wasting it on a Browning poly finish, which is one of - if not THE - toughest finishes around. Save the RW for oiled stock finishes

Agreed.
Polyurethane Gloss is massively tough, I was painting it over silver landing gear on aircraft Wed. night (which I do regularly).
200mph doesn't chip it, unless of course you run into a rock or something (bird, nope).

I hope the folks who like using car wax realize that they are rubbing an abrasive on their bluing...........................

I don't wax guns, ever, any parts, anywhere, anytime.
Metal gets wiped with Break Free CLP.
Oiled wood gets oiled (BLO) when I do anything to it.
Polyurethane gets wiped dirt off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:00 pm 
Crown Grade

:arrow: Hopper.....How goes it bud. Hope the knee's coming along, and you're out shooting that beautiful DT 11 Black..... 8)

:arrow: Rob K....It's been too long pal ! Let's get Joe (Seacillian) and meet up for some skeet when this mess subsides. I've been working on my (skeet) game, so hopefully you guys won't blow me away like the last time... :lol:

:arrow: 1oz......I'm the original owner of this 99 Ultra XS (perhaps my favorite gun). I believe it came with an oil finish, although it may be a satin finished poly coat ? Either way, I use either Howard's Feed N Wax or similar on this gun, and a few others that have an oil finish. Btw... I agree the Browning poly/lacquer finish is practically impervious , I just prefer wiping it down on occasion with wax, as opposed to a dry cloth. WTH....I'm going through the motion anyways..............................

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:45 pm 
Field Grade

captjsjr wrote:
You gonna throw a coat of something on that deck too ? :lol:

What a hardass!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

No offense meant , it’s actually the perfect background for a gorgeous set of wood !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:38 am 
Field Grade

It just made me laugh.

Not offensive but funny as hell due to the contrast with that high gloss stock.

Post subject: Re: Paste Wax on gun finishes
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:10 pm 
Field Grade

Recently had a gun stock refinished with an oil finish and the guy recommended waxing on occasion with "Briwax Sheradale Clear Antique Wax Polish". Have not tried it yet, but plan to in the future. This particular gentleman specializes in refinishing oil finishes.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:25 pm 
Field Grade

Opinions on what best product to use on gun stocks, both poly and oil finished ones, are about like asking what is the best gun oil or gun grease. Or better yet, is oil or is grease better on my shotgun? Different people have different answers, which doesn't mean any of them are either best or outright wrong. They are just personal opinions.

I will say that I agree with a previous poster about automotive wax. Most have some sort of abrasive so they never are used on my guns, wood or metal parts. There are other, safer products in my opinion.

On my oil finished Italian shotgun stocks I use Howard Feed-N-Wax which has Brazilian carnauba, beeswax and orange oil. This combination is supposed to "feed" the wooden gun stock. It seems to work well on my Berettas, which come from the factory with very little in the way of a finish. Very thin on mine indeed. The Howard's seems to work well.

Is it better than the RW or Johnson's paste wax I've used for oil stocks in the past? I think so, but can't really prove it. For my poly stocks I still use RW or Johnson's since you can't feed the wood through those super tough finishes. Renaissance Wax only goes on the metal of blued guns which are to be stored in the gun safe for an extended period. Working guns get a thin coat of oil on outside.

I don't say my way is best since there isn't any such animal as "best", but it works well for me. Good luck with your own choice.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bowling Alley floor wax was, back in the day, the go to product for coating all your exposed metal when venturing to Alaska, especially coastal areas. We put it on guns, knives, buckles, bino hinges, halters, zippers, you get my point. It wasn't perfect and had to be renewed periodically even on just a 2 week hunt.

It also worked fine on wood to keep it from absorbing moisture. You had to take your firearm all the way apart and to be sure you got plenty in the barrel channel, under the recoil pad, all around the inletting of the metal parts.

I don't think it hurt anything, for sure nothing of mine.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

After reading Cheechos' post I tried Howards' Wax&Feed. I've used various wax's in the past and this is the best I've tried.Still use RW on the metal though. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
1oz......I'm the original owner of this 99 Ultra XS (perhaps my favorite gun). I believe it came with an oil finish, although it may be a satin finished poly coat ? Either way, I use either Howard's Feed N Wax or similar on this gun, and a few others that have an oil finish. Btw... I agree the Browning poly/lacquer finish is practically impervious , I just prefer wiping it down on occasion with wax, as opposed to a dry cloth. WTH....I'm going through the motion anyways..............................

I recently bought an Ultra XT that has the same gloss finish as my Gti; impervious to sunscreen, bug spray, and anything up to an atomic bomb. Now, my DT-11 has a wonderful oil finish. I put Ren Wax on it yesterday because there was a chance of rain today when I was at a tournament and I wasn't going to risk the finish. Shot like crap (still tweaking the adjustable comb), but the stock came through perfect, even at 91 degrees and 95% humidity.........

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:36 pm 
Crown Grade

ohio mike wrote:
After reading Cheechos' post I tried Howards' Wax&Feed. I've used various wax's in the past and this is the best I've tried.Still use RW on the metal though. Thanks for the tip.

Howard's is another excellent product for nice wood..............

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

ohio mike wrote:
Howards' Wax&Feed. I've used various wax's in the past and this is the best I've tried.

This is what I use on my Ohio made Ithaca and my 870P walnut stock.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

captjsjr wrote:
Damn Cheecho , beautiful ! You gonna throw a coat of something on that deck too ? :lol:

and here i thought 'wow, neat to take a picture of your stock on a pile of Perazzi stock blanks'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:37 am 
Diamond Grade

I have rubbed dozens of additional coats of BLO into my Beretta Silver Pigeon's stock. It still looks exactly the same as it did originally. (Which is very nice, but I was expecting it to get even nicer.)

After hearing so many good things about Renaissance Wax, I bought a tub of it. It likely is doing some protecting on the Silver Pigeon, but did not enhance the appearance at all. I was expecting some extra gloss or some kind of change...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:46 am 
Crown Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:
captjsjr wrote:
Damn Cheecho , beautiful ! You gonna throw a coat of something on that deck too ? :lol:

and here i thought 'wow, neat to take a picture of your stock on a pile of Perazzi stock blanks'

Now that's funny................ :lol: :lol: :lol: