ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stevens 311c Trigger Issue HELP
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Long story short, yesterday, after selling a Stevens 311c I’ve used for 15 years with 0 problems, I received a call from the buyer that the right barrel wouldn’t cock. He barely had time to get it home and seemed honest so I don’t suspect him of misusing it. I refunded him, took the gun apart, and found that the right hammer does indeed not cock. I had taken it out this last week, put 50 shells through it, and then thoroughly cleaned it before sale. The left barrel/rear trigger does cock and fire, but the right doesn’t. The “Y” piece lowers to bring the right hammer into the lowered “cocked” position, but it just doesn’t take and instead goes back up after the action is shut again. Any ideas on what the issue is? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Stevens 311c Trigger Issue HELP
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Coues106 wrote:
Long story short, yesterday, after selling a Stevens 311c I’ve used for 15 years with 0 problems, I received a call from the buyer that the right barrel wouldn’t cock. He barely had time to get it home and seemed honest so I don’t suspect him of misusing it. I refunded him, took the gun apart, and found that the right hammer does indeed not cock. I had taken it out this last week, put 50 shells through it, and then thoroughly cleaned it before sale. The left barrel/rear trigger does cock and fire, but the right doesn’t. The “Y” piece lowers to bring the right hammer into the lowered “cocked” position, but it just doesn’t take and instead goes back up after the action is shut again. Any ideas on what the issue is? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Does it cock the left hammer ? Sounds like your sear spring came off the right sear. You may have bent it when you cleaned it . Easy to do. Could also be the right hammer spring. If the left hammer cocks , then it is probably not the cocking lever , unless you have the old " frog" style. These can get bent .so only one barrel cocks. I have a 311 H. Same internals. The fact you cleaned it .sounds like a missing/ broken spring. Trigger spring is on the safety .one on the left, one on the right, sear spring is looped over Sear rod. One arm rests on left sear . other arm on right sear. Long winded .but trying to keep it simple for you. Numrich arms for parts. Reason it goes back up is because the sear is not engaging the hammer. . Barrel is holding the frog hammer down. Good luck. Do not take the hammers out - you will be sorry.