ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eastern Arms Co 101.7 firing pins
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Good afternoon all.

I have a "Eastern Arms Company" 101.7 5100 12GA SBS shotgun that one of the firing pins isn't making enough contact with the shell's primer to fire. After some research, I've learned that although only one pin is doing this, apparently both pins should be punching out much further than they actually are currently.

Attachment:
20200519_163056a.jpg

Attachment:
20200519_163127b.jpg

After looking at the receiver with the stock off, it appears the firing pins can be replaced, but as they don't appear to be physically broken, I'm not sure how that would help. Would replacing the springs on each pin help the problem (I'm not logically seeing how).

Research from this forum tells me this was probably made by Stevens for the Sears catalog a number of decades back, and in all reality, isn't worth that much. That being said, I'd still like to get this back to operational order if possible.

Any ideas?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Eastern Arms Co 101.7 firing pins
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

Google: "stevens model 5100 parts for sale"

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:19 pm 
Utility Grade

CriscoKid wrote:

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

Google: "stevens model 5100 parts for sale"

Thank you. I'm not looking for the parts; I know there's used parts available for this shotgun. I'm looking for opinions on what is causing this problem. Thx.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:24 pm 
Crown Grade

IME, the FP return spring gets kinked and/or broken. effecting FP movement.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:30 pm 
Utility Grade

CriscoKid wrote:

IME, the FP return spring gets kinked and/or broken. effecting FP movement.

Thx, that may make sense; would the firing pins then have any 'spring' left in them, or would they then only be effected by gravity (depending upon the angle of the gun) when the hammers are cocked? Meaning, if the hammers were cocked, shouldn't they fall into the 'fired' position when the gun is pointed downward?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Not necessarily - it depends upon the condition of the return spring

If it's kinked, it usually binds the FP's movement, since the bent spring coil(s) occupy the free clearance in the FP tunnel.

You won't know what's up until you get in there - I've even found small/thin pine (tree) needles inside an action, playing havoc in there.

Numrich Arms has new return springs @ $5.00

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The new springs from Numrich are actually from a different gun, but they work.
The originals were really small gauge wire and get really buggered up.
Also, consider filing down the back of the firing pin retaining screw. That is what the hammer rests on. It is thick enough to file down, just make sure to recut the slot. You don't have to file much off.
If you go to far they will drag when you try to open the gun.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:29 am 
Crown Grade

The firing pins on these guns can be replaced without a lot of disassembly. New pins and a new firing pin retaining screw will likely restore the proper functioning of the gun. Just cock the gun and remove the butt stock retaining screw and the butt stock. The firing pin retaining screw and pins can then be removed and replaced. If the new pins protrude from the standing breech in the fired position more than about .060", then metal can be removed from the back of the pin to get protrusion correct (.045" to .060"). This is not a big or complicated procedure.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:11 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks @CriscoKid, @Jim18611865 and @Riflemeister for the input. I already have the stock off and will try getting to the firing pin retaining screws. I'm thinking the hammer may have to come out first, but haven't looked too closely yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Lockdown wrote:
Thanks @CriscoKid, @Jim18611865 and @Riflemeister for the input. I already have the stock off and will try getting to the firing pin retaining screws. I'm thinking the hammer may have to come out first, but haven't looked too closely yet.

Hammers need to be cocked, put the safety on before rummaging around in there.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
Hammers need to be cocked, put the safety on before rummaging around in there.

Thanks. Thanks to some others' post on this forum, I learned the basic 'trick' to remove the pins w/out taking the hammers out...

I cleaned up the whole area, and even though the FP Retaining Screws have already been filed down at least once (or mashed from years of being hit), didn't solve the issue. I think one of the springs may be too short now too... New parts being ordered today.

Attachment:
99255242_3433539253342853_2423234958018478080_o[1].jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Yup, you really don't want to pull the hammers on that gun if you can avoid it. The hammers are powered by a couple of the most powerful coil springs on the planet. There have been a few tools made to aid in the replacement of those springs, but just doing it by brute force requires three hands and some very strong booze. Several very colorful expletives have been invented during that operation.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Riflemeister wrote:
Yup, you really don't want to pull the hammers on that gun if you can avoid it. The hammers are powered by a couple of the most powerful coil springs on the planet. There have been a few tools made to aid in the replacement of those springs, but just doing it by brute force requires three hands and some very strong booze. Several very colorful expletives have been invented during that operation.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Know what you mean.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Glad you figured out how to do it without removing the hammers.
I did remove hammers once. It was about a week to get them back in.
I'll never do that again.

I have been told that new firing pins may not be hardened, and likely won't be shaped either? is that true? Should they be hardened before using?

Jim

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:49 am 
Utility Grade

Jim18611865 wrote:
I have been told that new firing pins may not be hardened, and likely won't be shaped either? is that true? Should they be hardened before using?

Jim

The photo of the new pins from Numrich appear to be very close as the originals:
Attachment:
163910[1].jpg

As far as hardened, that is unknown. What's involved in "hardening" them?

The only other issue I see currently is that Numrich was forced closed by their Governor, so although they're ordered, the order is on hold until they open again....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:23 pm 
Utility Grade

lossking wrote:
Riflemeister wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Know what you mean.

You are correct. I just rebuilt a 311 - never again. Looking at your photos, your spring and pins look very worn. I would put in new firing pin retaining screws also.The flat side of the pin faces the screw.When installed correctly , you should be able to push the pins in and out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Lockdown wrote:
Jim18611865 wrote:

Jim

The photo of the new pins from Numrich appear to be very close as the originals:
Attachment:
163910[1].jpg

As far as hardened, that is unknown. What's involved in "hardening" them?

The only other issue I see currently is that Numrich was forced closed by their Governor, so although they're ordered, the order is on hold until they open again....

Pins don't need to be hardened - just install as they come -should have a # 4 on them. Some may not have any number at all. If you are going this far . I would put in all new springs and screws.