ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 500 slide comes back with trigger pull
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

Location: New Jersey(where the goverment knows whats best for you.)
like the title says. New to me shotgun, but made @ 1971. I did a disassembly and total cleaning, reassembled, and ran it through a safety check. When shouldering and dry firing I noticed as I had rearward pressure on the forearm as soon as I pulled the trigger the slide pulled back. I believe that if I were to shoot the gun one handed with real ammo that the slide would do the same. This can't be normal? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 500 slide comes back with trigger pull
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

dueeast wrote:
like the title says. New to me shotgun, but made @ 1971. I did a disassembly and total cleaning, reassembled, and ran it through a safety check. When shouldering and dry firing I noticed as I had rearward pressure on the forearm as soon as I pulled the trigger the slide pulled back. I believe that if I were to shoot the gun one handed with real ammo that the slide would do the same. This can't be normal? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I've never owned a Mossberg, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that a Remington 870 will do exactly as you described. Thus, I would surmise your gun will do the same thing........just like it's supposed to.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Normal. Firing unlocks the bolt, allowing you to pump it.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

Location: New Jersey(where the goverment knows whats best for you.)
Thank you both!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:05 pm 
Utility Grade

I had the same issue with a Winchester Model 1200. I'd find the slide at the rear end of travel like I had pumped the last round out only this was happening much faster. Turns out there's a part in the trigger group called a disconnector. It keeps you from being able to hold the trigger down and pump off shots like the old Winchester model 12's. Not a happy situation as the bolt can cycle in an uncontrolled manner. Bad juju in my book. I had my smith replace the disconnector and spring and the gun now operates in a controlled manner. Donno whether the guns mentioned have such a safety device but it might be useful to look further into the issue.