ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shotgun Upgrade: What would You Do?
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Howdy, Y’all!

Here’s a hypothetical for you! Let’s say you come into possession of an old Remington semi-auto Sportsman 48 in (2 3/4") 12 gauge. The gun’s in good shape, save for a Lyman poly-choke which appears to have been attacked with channel locks and/or Vise-Grips, and wooden furniture which at some point has been too generously slathered with multiple coats of Tru-Oil.

Now, you don’t need this gun, but the other guns in your cabinet won’t associate with the Ugly Duckling. You like it, because it’s still functional and its recoil operated bolt is so Old School it’s cool. It also seems to hold promise as a turkey gun. You’re thinking of shortening the barrel and threading it for a choke (or poly-choke); getting a trigger job; lengthening the forcing cone; parkerizing, cerakoting, and/or black nitriding the steel; replacing the wooden furniture with RealTree synthetic; somehow adapting the receiver for a Picatinny rail; and installing the best recoil pad you can find.

Finally, though it may strain your paycheck for a while, let’s assume you can afford all this. If this shotgun were yours – bearing in mind that the Sportsman 48s were low-cost, low end guns produced in significant quantities – and you wanted to bring it as far up-to-speed and functionality as possible (without the addition of unnecessary bling), what would you do (or not do), and why?

Many thanx for your thoughts,

WaltnATL

Post subject: Re: Shotgun Upgrade: What would You Do?
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:53 pm 
Field Grade

Sell it and get a V3 Walnut

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Knowing me... I would probably shoot it a few times love it once, hate it once then after a few months sell it to try something different.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

I’m might be the wrong guy to ask. If I had really thought this project out (as you obviously have ) and was as cranked up as you obviously are.
It would already be happening . Gun “stuff” , doesn’t have to make sense to anyone but you . Hell , I bought a Browning recoilless trap 2 years ago ! Try and top that for foolishness :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

I’d march forward. Parts are out there waiting to be pressed into service (not so sure about synthetic stocks).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What barrel length after you saw off the choke and have it re threaded?

Sure. Dump the money and the time in it. Fun project.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Nope!
You won’t get your money back.
If that is of no concern, go for it, after all, it’s your money!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:43 pm 
Crown Grade

It would certainly be a one of a kind and that's worth bragging rights. Make it 21 inch barrel threaded for choke tubes. Go for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Since I do not like recoil operated shotguns, and I hate adjustable chokes, that thing would be gone quick.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:39 pm 
Field Grade

Go for it, it’s a new toy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:58 am 
Diamond Grade

Wouldn’t put a dime in it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:27 am 
Utility Grade

Wow! Some pretty divided opinions here, but I thank each of you for your inputs. If I decide to remake this gun, I'll send some photos.

Best regards, WaltnATL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sometimes there are issues with reliable functioning when you change the weight of the barrel on recoil guns. Just sayin'

The eye of the master can do more work than both hands.

Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:42 am 
Crown Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
Nope!

+1

I'd never spend more $$ on a gun than what it's worth.

It's one thing to put $50 into a $200 gun, and quite another to put $200+ into the same $200 gun.(aka: a money pit)

However, if a gun owner can do everything themselves, it makes economic sense AND will impart a huge sense of satisfaction to the gun owner.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:33 am 
Crown Grade

CriscoKid wrote:
Dr Duk wrote:
Nope!

+1

I'd never spend more $$ on a gun than what it's worth.

It's one thing to put $50 into a $200 gun, and quite another to put $200+ into the same $200 gun.(aka: a money pit)

However, if a gun owner can do everything themselves, it makes economic sense AND will impart a huge sense of satisfaction to the gun owner.

Well, I can say that I have not followed that advice many, many times in my gun ownership years. I have spent several multiples of the gun's worth to make modifications that I wanted for my enjoyment of the gun. Sure I lost money at the time of sale but that was not the point for me. The gun gave me more enjoyment and or suited my use for it better after I had modifications done. To me that is what was important.

I have also been known to buy stocks high and sell low! :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:41 am 
Diamond Grade

My Nitro Special is a candidate for a new stock and if I thought I’d get enough use out of it I’d probably get the work done. Now that I think about it, if the finished dimensions were right for me, maybe I would get enough use out of it. Hmmm... I guess the value is in the eye of the beholder.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:59 am 
Crown Grade

EricB wrote:
My Nitro Special is a candidate for a new stock and if I thought I’d get enough use out of it I’d probably get the work done. Now that I think about it, if the finished dimensions were right for me, maybe I would get enough use out of it. Hmmm... I guess the value is in the eye of the beholder.

Exactly! How many folks opt to have a nicer stock from Coles put on a 686 SP? It must be a fair number because he keeps them in stock. Do all the folks that do that get their money back for those wood upgrades at time of sale? I would guess probably not.

However, they got the pleasure of using the gun with much nicer aesthetic appeal. There is also the pride of ownership factor. The people that make major and costly modifications to their guns and then expect to get all that money back out; I think are usually disappointed.

I have gotten a great deal of enjoyment planning and then finally executing a restoration, modification or series of modifications to a gun. It makes the time when all the work is finally completed that much more gratifying. DIY projects are also that way for the reason that you will also have the sweat equity built in if done properly.

However, that is just me. If every purchase or modification of a gun is based on its potential resale value, then you approach ownership much differently than I have. So be it.