ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Walking back a magazine extension on a Remington 1100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:07 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. Been searching through the forums for a few days (before joining) and couldn't find anything on this particular topic. Apologies if it's a repeat (if it is, I'd be grateful for a link). I figured that since I'm asking about a mod to actual metal, this would be the forum to post in.

My Remington 1100 isn't new, but recent enough that it has the two detents inside the magazine tube that hold the magazine spring retainer in place (same detents on some 870s). So, as many of you know, to add an extension, I have to remove those detents in the tube to let the follower go past. Some people file or drill them out, others use a swage. I plan to go with the swage. But before I do...

If I remove those detents in the mag tube, then the original spring retainer won't stay in on its own anymore, which leads to questions about the mag cap staying tight, etc. Before I take out the detents, I'm wondering... if I take them out, will I be able to go back to the original non-extended magazine without any trouble (e.g., I'm thinking an old style Remington spring retainer in the end of the tube, and a wave washer or rubber O-ring under the mag cap might do the trick). So my question is, if I remove those detents to add a mag extension, can I get back to (almost) original without major headaches? I'd welcome any advice, experience, suggestions, etc about it. I basically don't want to fubar my 1100.

For those wondering... it's part of a project to mod the 1100 to have it serve more of a dedicated HD function, at least for now. I can post details about that separately if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

KC

Post subject: Re: Walking back a magazine extension on a Remington 1100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Swaging the bumps out is pretty hard to do, much easier to drill. The old spring retainer will work find once you make the modification. I modified my V3 for an extension, and I drilled. Those magazine tubes are pretty hard and not easily swaged. If you heat red hot then you can probably remove the bumps pretty easy, but you also may bugger up the roundness of the magazine tube once you start doing any bending on it. You may have to fool around with the cartridge follower also. Mine tended to hang up at the transition from magazine to extension until I removed some excess plastic that was sticking off the side of it, but that only took about 10 minutes to figure out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can drill or swage out the bumps as you prefer. I would not do all the swaging in one step.
As far as retaining the magazine cap/extension all you need is an O ring. There is no metal at the front of the new fore ends so I don't like a wave washer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:09 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm thinking that if I start off swaging and it looks like it's not going to go smoothly, I can switch to drilling/filing/Dremeling. Thanks, JoeCool, for the pointer about the new follower; I'll keep a close eye on it and trim as needed. And thanks, Virginian, for the point about the newer foreends and a wave washer; O ring it is, if I need to revert. I appreciate the input fellas. Thank you. --KC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:57 am 
Utility Grade

Here's an update, in case it helps anyone down the road... Swaging worked well, using the Magazine Detent Swage Tool from XS Sights. Greased it up a little and took it slow, as recommended. Patience was key. I had to do quite a lot of light peening (swage in), alternating between a small cross-peen hammer and various sized steel punches, then some fine, bit-by-bit filing on the outside, until there was no sign left of the former detents and everything slid back into place around the mag tube as easily as before. Checked the follower as recommended; slid through well. Cycled through a full magazine a few times at the range with no problems. I'm confident I can revert to a non-extended magazine if I want to, with no issues. Thanks again for the tips. Much appreciated.