Shotgun Forum banner

lowering comb on Browning o/u oil finish

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Bill M. 
#1 ·
I have a new sporting clays Browning o/u that shoots high for me. I need to sand the comb down and refinish it. Rather than have it look sloppy, I thought I would ask what the proper method is.

As I understand it when I get ready to reapply the oil finish Homer Formby's oil will work. It's the sanding I'm concerned about in making it look good.

Right now the gun shoots around a 100/0 pattern the way I shoulder it. I can get my face down further on the stock but want to have the same "look" I do with my other shotguns. This gun is the only one that requires me to get my face lower on the stock.

And in the long ago past I had a Winchester 101 pigeon grade trap gun that shot too high for me. It had the shiny epoxy finish on it. I didn't want to booger it up so I didn't lower the stock. I ended up with two trap guns, neither of which I could shoot as one shot high and after trying to get used to the Winchester, the other shot low. I got frustrated.

This time around I will rework the stock.

Any suggestions on methods.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have lowered the comb on a couple of guns by 1/4 inch. I used a foot long sand paper holder that clamps the paper on the front and back. I started with 60 grit paper and took off the large quantity needed with that grit, and then went to 100 and 220 grit. I finished with about 600 grit. I was careful to maintain the proper configuration of the butt stock throughout the process. Yes, it took me several attempts to get it down to exactly to what I wanted because I would shoot first after sanding in a change to check for POI movement.

If I understand your question correctly, I don't see how it can look pretty while you are whittling away at the comb height. It will look fine once you get done and do a complete refinish of the butt stock and forend by stripping away all of the remainder poly and applying a proper finish of which there are many types and brands. I used True Oil.

Having said that, in your case you may be better off with having a proper adjustable comb installed to bring the point of impact down to what you want. In that way the finish you currently have will not be destroyed. An adjustable comb if done properly will not negatively impact the sale of a target gun. You can research on SGW who is best for installing an adjustable comb, as I have never had that done. Good luck.

#3 ·
If the shape of your existing comb is to your liking, you might also consider raising the rib rather than lowering the comb.

http://www.addarib,com can sell you a rib at your chosen height.

To find the height of an add-on rib that you need, use a strip of wood as a temporary rib taped to your barrel. Balsa is the easiest wood to work with but any species will work.

These Delrin ribs successfully attach to your existing rib with double sided tape.

#5 ·
BTW, you do realize that lowering the POI by 10" (20" 410 pattern that is presently 100% high) will involve taking between 3/8" and 1/2" off the comb, right?! Are you really seeing that much space between the beads that shaving that much wood off the comb won't leave you staring at the back of the receiver and operating lever?

As with the initial issues you had with chokes and pattern diameter, how SURE are you that your gun is ACTUALLY shooting 100% (9-10") high? Are you guesstimating again or did you take actual measurements this time?

#6 ·
Rollin Oswald said:
If the shape of your existing comb is to your liking, you might also consider raising the rib rather than lowering the comb.

http://www.addarib,com can sell you a rib at your chosen height.

To find the height of an add-on rib that you need, use a strip of wood as a temporary rib taped to your barrel. Balsa is the easiest wood to work with but any species will work.

These Delrin ribs successfully attach to your existing rib with double sided tape.
If he sees the same sight picture, the POI won't be affected a noticeable amount if a parallel add-on rib is installed, you'd need one higher at the front.

Sounds to me like he wants to see a boatload of rib, but wants the gun to shoot flat, and doesn't want to cheek the gun normally.

billwnr said:
I can get my face down further on the stock but want to have the same "look" I do with my other shotguns.
Strange, but achievable if an add-on rib is installed that is much thicker at the muzzle.

#8 ·
Some guns just don't fit some people - which is why there are so many options.

To the OP: Do you have another gun that fits well? If so, what are that guns stock dimensions? If not, it will be beneficial to try several guns and find one that fits you before modifying that Browning.

Another point is that one's fit requirements change as one's mount and style evolve.

#9 ·
Just taking wood off might work. Or it might not. I think most likely not. If you lower the comb enough you will just be behind the receiver and cannot see down the barrel. I would try a homemade add on rib out of balsa from the hardware store and tape for a first run and see if raising the rib at the front might do the job. A add on rib made to your specs is probably cheaper and less invasive than either cutting the comb and refinishing or adding a comb adjuster. With adjuster you will probably need a custom piece on top to get low enough. Adjusters are generally made to raise the pattern. And if the fit is truly a full pattern high I am in agreement with selling the gun as is and starting over. Probably the best solution. Or maybe a PFS. But it sounds to me like you are going to end up with your eye behind the receiver and will need the rib.

What do you see of the rib when the gun is mounted. Are you really 1/2 inch or so elevated at the rear of the gun. Is it possible you have a trap stock on a field or sporting gun? The trap guns have the rib 1/2 inch higher than the sporting barrels. That seems like about how far you are off. I have a trap stock for my sporting Beretta and it shoots about the way you describe with that stock on it. I bought the trap stock with the idea of cutting it down to a custom fit but then decided to put an adjuster one the sporting stock instead. But my problem was shooting low and to the left, not high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.