ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super X Model 1 - Tool For Changing Recoil Spring Follower
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:13 pm 
Field Grade

I recently acquired three Super X Model 1 shotguns. Two XTR's and a field grade. The field grade had a totally disintegrated recoil buffer and the follower was beaten up badly. One of the XTR's looked almost unfired, and the other, a very high serial number, was somewhere in between.

So, I decided to do some maintenance. I broke them down and I am replacing two buffers and two recoil spring followers. I made a tool to hold the recoil spring back so I can easily remove and install the new follower. I took some 3/4" PVC pipe that fits over the end of the recoil spring tube, drilled a hole in one end and epoxy-ed an end cap on. Then, I took a picture hanging clip and modified it with a Dremel tool and pliers. The clip slips into the slot in the recoil spring tube and I attached it with braided picture hanging wire. The tool cost me nothing to make because I had the materials on hand. It worked!

Post subject: Re: Super X Model 1 - Tool For Changing Recoil Spring Follow
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:57 am 
Diamond Grade

I just drilled a 1/8" hole through the tube about inch down from top of the slot - used a screwdriver to pull spring down then stuck the drill bit in hole - Simple.

dave

Post subject: Re: Super X Model 1 - Tool For Changing Recoil Spring Follow
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:02 am 
Field Grade

DSPUK wrote:
I just drilled a 1/8" hole through the tube about inch down from top of the slot - used a screwdriver to pull spring down then stuck the drill bit in hole - Simple.

dave

Yes. I read about drilling a hole. I prefer not to drill a hole in mine.