ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Several questions regarding Model 12 repairs/restoration
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:53 pm 
Field Grade

Hello all! Per the title I have several questions regarding 2 different M12 shotguns. Thank you for any and all insight. Long read, please hang in there!!

First shotgun: Early Nickel steel choked cylinder. All original.

1. The main issue I have with this one is that when the gun is taken down, the bolt falls out of the locked position. Which as i'm sure most of you know, makes it a pain to get back together. I'm no expert but have a couple of suspicions. I just recently discovered that the chamber ring is missing both of its screws, I've found some on ebay and will order them and fix this issue, could this be causing the bolt to unlock and fall, or is it something else entirely, like a worn ejector spring or maybe the slide lock actuator components?

2. As mentioned above, chamber ring missing screws. No real question here, I'll order the parts and fasten it back. Unless anyone with more knowledge than I about this particular issues has any warnings/advice to share.

3. Missing the safety. I haven't done any research here yet, but am assuming this part does not need fitting? If not, I'll locate one and install.

That should take care of this particular M12.

2nd M12: Beater in poor condition with nonfactory modifications. I found this gem in a pawn shop 7-8 years ago and could not turn it down for a project. Fast forward and I've still not done anything with it. I did not pay much for this gun, its non original, and serial numbers do not match. (no number at all on the extension)

1. Main issue with this gun is the adjusting sleeve lock shoe is broken, not allowing a tight lockup between receiver halves. This of course requires the removal of the receiver extension to replace the lock shoe. My question here is, Do you use a particular action wrench that can be purchased without need of modification? Have you made your own? I know its a job for an experienced gunsmith, im quite confident I could perform this task myself, I just lack some of the knowledge of the required tools. Im not trying to sound overly confident or arrogant either, a man/woman of high experience in their trade is someone I have a very high level of respect for, and Im not at all above paying an experienced gunsmith to do some of these repairs, however, I've made several attempts to contact some and have never heard back. (more on this subject later) This gun functions very well mechanically considering the above mentioned flaw.

2. Non original/poorly modified buttstock.

3. Finish is in poor condition. Receiver in the white.

So to finish up, Like I mentioned above, I'm fully open to paying for an experienced gunsmiths services to repair and possibly refurbish gun #2. I've just had a hard time contacting anyone. I'll admit, I have not made any recent attempts (In the last couple years to do this) I've also not tried anyone from this forum, so I'll make a formal request while I'm here. I'm a blue collar tradesman so, finances are certainly a factor. I may not be able to afford everything I want to do at one time and hopefully that's not a deterrent, either way, I'd love to talk to someone here that comes highly recommended. I'll list below what my dream for gun #2 is.

1. Repair broken adjusting sleeve lock/fit new sleeve if needed per smiths advice/any other advised repairs.

2. Complete re-blue

3. I was given a set of unfinished/unfitted fancy stocks that belonged to my grandfather before he passed away for this M12 project. I'd love to have these fitted/finished/checkered for this gun for sentimental reasons.

4. polish bolt.

I fully understand this will run a large price tag, which is why I really need to know what some of this might cost. I have a decent pile of money saved for this project, but may have to do a couple things here and save again and do another item or two. I also fully realize I'd never get most of this back upon sale of this particular firearm. Alot of folks would not spend this kind of money on a beater shotgun. It is something I would truly like to do though. I'm sorry for such a long post and I appreciate anyone who has hung in here and read through it. Thank you again for your advice and any knowledge you can share.

Respectfully,
Matt

Post subject: Re: Several questions regarding Model 12 repairs/restoration
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:13 pm 
Utility Grade

If the gun is just a garden variety "beater" as you say, I'd just use it for parts to repair another M12. If, on the other hand, it is something special like being marked Skeet or Trap or Pigeon Grade with solid rib barrel of superior grade wood then by all means have it restored by a competent gunsmith and use it like a classic car. Like they say, they won't be making any more of them and they deserve to be resurrected.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:45 pm 
Field Grade

Well, I didn't expect this thread to be as big a flop as it was. Either way, I repaired gun #2 myself. Procured the appropriate tools and removed the bbl extension, removed the broken adjusting sleeve lock and fit a new adjusting sleeve lock to it. Gun locks up nice and tight now. To think, others might have scrapped it.

Last edited by MattL46 on Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:36 am 
Crown Grade

Well done in keeping an old gun in the game!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:01 am 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
Well done in keeping an old gun in the game!

Thank you kindly, sir. I've had this gun for 6-7 years, and bought it before my knowledge of M-12's was what it is now. Not an expert by any means, but, didnt know serial numbers had to match, lockup, etc. So once I discovered it was damaged, it's always just taken up depressing space in my gun cabinet. While intimidating, very careful close attention to detail has paid off. I'm pretty proud of it. I'll see about posting some photos.