ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fixed choke on a browning
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:45 pm 
Field Grade

Does anyone have information on length and style of older miruko chokes? By my measurements it’s close to 2inches and doesn’t have a parallel section. Looking to hone it from 50 thousands to 25. Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Fixed choke on a browning
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

my help is going to be to suggest that you get a gunsmith to ream it with the proper setup to keep it aligned with the bore. A fairly cheap operation and you just have to send the barrel. Mike Orlen has done several for me with very good results. The guns patterned the way I expected they should after the work. He has done 3 for me. And the barrels pattern to the same POI as before the job which can be critical on a O/U.

I expect you are correct in your evaluation of the taper but it will have a parallel section after it is reamed. And it will shoot fine. I thought about just honing it out. And have been extremely glad that I did not go that route after I see how well Mike did the job. And I do not think the taper of a tight choke will be the same as an open choke. I expect Browning makes them all full and them reams them to the desired choke and then stamps the barrel. Hence their marking system in which you can always add the marks for a more open choke. Art's gun shop will ream the choke and then add the markings if you desire.

Post subject: Re: Fixed choke on a browning
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:41 pm 
Limited Edition

It's very important to ream/hone a choke true to the axis of the bore , a good gunsmith will
have this technique down pat and you will be very satisfied with the outcome !