ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 870 wingmaster mods
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:27 pm 
Utility Grade

i have an older 20 ga 870 wingmaster with a 26" vented barrel that i think is built on a 12 ga receiver (i can fit a 12 ga shell into the end of the magazine with the cap removed) that i would like to modify. i wanted to replace the barrel with a 18.5" or 20" barrel and add a magazine extension. apparently this is harder than i thought it would be. it seems most 20 ga 18.5" barrels are out of stock. do i need to use a 12 ga magazine extension and will the number of shells in the extension determine the length of the barrel?

thanks for any assistance.

tim

Post subject: Re: 870 wingmaster mods
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If your serial # ends in N or X it is built on the 12 gauge sized receiver, and no new barrels have been made for about 40 years. Almost all barrels you see listed will be for the lightweight models - serial number ended in K or U until a few years ago.
A 12 gauge mag extension will fit, but think long and hard before you cut that existing barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:26 pm 
Limited Edition

tmag wrote:
i have an older 20 ga 870 wingmaster with a 26" vented barrel that i think is built on a 12 ga receiver (i can fit a 12 ga shell into the end of the magazine with the cap removed) that i would like to modify. i wanted to replace the barrel with a 18.5" or 20" barrel and add a magazine extension. apparently this is harder than i thought it would be. it seems most 20 ga 18.5" barrels are out of stock. do i need to use a 12 ga magazine extension and will the number of shells in the extension determine the length of the barrel?

thanks for any assistance.

tim

Hey Tim let me make a suggestion , look into Aquilas minnie shells , in a standard
magazine you can get 3 or 4 more shells in the tube !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Before i would cut the matching barrel i would try to find a different one. You can find them now and then or you can go to Corson Barrels on there web site they usually have them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:43 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a 20ga. standard barrel with vent-rib that was cut and is now 23 1/4" which could be shortened if interested pm and I can send pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:59 pm 
Utility Grade

I'd consider taking Shotgun Red up on his offer. IMHE less is more. If the gun works great as is, with a 20 gauge barrel, stay with 20 gauge. If you can't find an 18 - 20" barrel, then cutting one down is a feasible way to do the same thing. Just don't cut too short, and if you're in any doubt as to your ability to make a neat, square, finished cut, a gunsmith should be able to do it at reasonable cost. [I'm not trying to be insulting; I don't have the experience or equipment to do it either.]

As to the magazine, all 870 extensions work the same way, by screwing on to the end of the magazine in place of the endcap. [You may need to grind or drill out an indent to get clearance, which is not difficult, and you will need the longer spring.] If a 12 gauge extension (or magazine cap) screws on, there's your answer. If not, then you need the 20 gauge extension, which is also readily available.

Tigertank84