ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CZ Drake Selectable Trigger problem
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:13 am 
Utility Grade

Hi folks...can someone help?

CZ Drake (mechanical trigger, not inertia) just a few weeks old and it works perfectly when shooting lower barrel first.

If I switch the selector to upper barrel first, the upper barrel fires on first pull, but second pull does nothing. Pull a third time and the lower barrel fires.

Interestingly, this does not happen with snapcaps, but I can MAKE it happen with snapcaps if I replicate the recoil shoulder impact by bumping the butt of the stock when I pull the trigger the first time.

I have lost my receipt for the original purchase, and am interested in taking a look at this myself. Any experience with this from anyone out there?

Post subject: Re: CZ Drake Selectable Trigger problem
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

I can't help with the fix, but I just went through a missing receipt issue. If you bought the gun with a CC. then there are purchase records someplace.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:41 pm 
Crown Grade

The first two digits of the serial number are the date of manufacture which will tell you if it is in the warranty period (5 years, I believe). CZ warranty service is likely as good or better than anyone in the industry. Just give them a call and they'll fix on their dime. (913) 321-1811 and ask to speak to their gunsmiths.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Schocker65 wrote:
Hi folks...can someone help?

CZ Drake (mechanical trigger, not inertia) just a few weeks old and it works perfectly when shooting lower barrel first.

If I switch the selector to upper barrel first, the upper barrel fires on first pull, but second pull does nothing. Pull a third time and the lower barrel fires.

Interestingly, this does not happen with snapcaps, but I can MAKE it happen with snapcaps if I replicate the recoil shoulder impact by bumping the butt of the stock when I pull the trigger the first time.

I have lost my receipt for the original purchase, and am interested in taking a look at this myself. Any experience with this from anyone out there?

I don't have a CZ, but I have another Turkish O/U and I had the same problem only mine would fire the bottom barrel first and then do exactly what you describe when I tried to fire the top barrel. What mine was was was a hammer spring that was barely engaging. What I did was make an adjustment to the spring so it was firmly engaged. So far it seems to be working fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for chipping in folks...I cracked it open and figured out what was going on and was able to fix it, as far as I can tell.

When the barrel selector was in the position to fire the bottom barrel first, the actuator could freely move backward (as it would under recoil) and then return to the sear via the spring. When the barrel selector was in the position to fire the top barrel first, the actuator would foul on something as it moved backward, and would fail to return via the spring. Pulling the trigger while the actuator was hung up freed the actuator and it would return to the sear, allowing the third pull to release the hammer.

At first, I thought the actuator might actually be fouling on the left hammer spring, but it was just very close to it. So i removed the safety and noticed that the selector "tab" was very slightly bent and had some significant machining marks. The feel of how the actuator was hanging up aligned well with how those machining marks looked in my mind, so I went ahead and straightened the selector tab just a bit and gently filed down the machining marks on both sides of the tab. Reassembled and lightly lubed with Breakfree CLP, and all is butter now. No more hanging up, and functions correctly. Can no longer replicate the malfunction.

I'll report back on how it performs the next time out, which could be up to a couple of weeks out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:49 am 
Crown Grade

Nice job of home gunsmithing. Wish more people were blessed with that critical eye that detects those minor issues that can cause malfunctions. It is a rare skill.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
Nice job of home gunsmithing. Wish more people were blessed with that critical eye that detects those minor issues that can cause malfunctions. It is a rare skill.

Thanks for the nice compliment. I was pleased with myself, to be honest. But I'll need to wait until I'm able to actually test fire it before I deem myself a gunsmith :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Schocker65 wrote:
Riflemeister wrote:

Thanks for the nice compliment. I was pleased with myself, to be honest. But I'll need to wait until I'm able to actually test fire it before I deem myself a gunsmith :lol:

Sounds good to me, and I'm not that easily impressed!

Drop by the Huglu forum, since you're already a member. We enjoy our Huglus!

Drang nach Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Schocker65 wrote:
Riflemeister wrote:

It's always particularly satisfying to fix a small issue on your own.

Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:26 pm 
Utility Grade

So, I was able to get the Drake out for 60 rounds of slugs at the indoor range today, and not a single malfunction. Before the repair, the malfunction rate was 100% when firing the top barrel first.

Glad I didn't have to send it away.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:46 am 
Utility Grade

Quick update - still no additional malfunctions after 300 more rounds.