ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vintage Citori firing pin issue.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi I have a 1973 vintage Citori which has an occasional FTF on the lower barrel. I downloaded the very nice tutorial posted in this forum for removing the firing pins on a Citori. However, the action is quite different from mine. I have uploaded a couple of photos. Can someone point me in the right direction? As this action does not seem to match with most of what I have found for “Citori” I am hesitant to start pulling things apart. Short term I cleaned it all out with brake cleaner and compressed air. Long term I want to be able to remove them should more service is needed. Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Hebron on Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Vintage Citori firing pin issue.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That action configuration doesn't look familiar to me. Are you sure that's a Citori? Is there a plate of some kind on the face of the standing breech? How about a picture of the open receiver channel. Also, it appears that some parts are missing in the action on the photos. In other words, the left side view and the right side view don't have the same parts in them. At least, that's the way it looks to me.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Doesn’t look right to me either . But if it’s a ‘73 , then it’s a pre type I . Try a google search for “ type I. Browning citori. If that doesn’t work then contact Browning directly. Best of luck finding parts for that gun !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:36 pm 
Crown Grade

There is a pre type 1 and a Type 1. See https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=273111 for additional info.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I can assure you that there are no parts missing, at least not that I know of. Except for the occasional FTF, this puppy shoots like a dream. I can post some additional photos to show area where the firing pins engage the shell (this is the standing breach?). I have spoken to Browning and they were not terribly helpful or encouraging. They do call it a pre type 1 Citori and there are very few parts available. Hopefully this will not be an issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:18 am 
Crown Grade

Are you using the same ammo you’ve had good luck with before this issue?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:17 am 
Presentation Grade

So you’re not thinking firing pin (s). May be eroded and need replacement ? Although they can be made ( or modified from available pins )
In the mean time the brake cleaner may just have solved your immediate problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:25 am 
Presentation Grade

captjsjr wrote:
So you’re not thinking firing pin (s). May be eroded and need replacement ? Although they can be made ( or modified from available pins )
In the mean time the brake cleaner may just have solved your immediate problem.

Albanygun , the op stated it was a ‘73 , that would make it a pre type I ,( ‘73 - ‘76 ). The type I was made for one year only , ‘77.
Hope this helps

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hebron wrote:
I can assure you that there are no parts missing, at least not that I know of. Except for the occasional FTF, this puppy shoots like a dream. I can post some additional photos to show area where the firing pins engage the shell (this is the standing breach?). I have spoken to Browning and they were not terribly helpful or encouraging. They do call it a pre type 1 Citori and there are very few parts available. Hopefully this will not be an issue.

Ah ha! I see that you have now posted an additional pic showing the breech face! Great! That tells me that the firing pin access is from the front. See those two little holes (one on each side of the firing pin hole)? That is where you insert the tool to screw out the plate to access the firing pins.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:27 am 
Crown Grade

You can buy the necessary tool from J&P... https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/BROWNING- ... -p72200077

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Hebron wrote:

Ah ha! I see that you have now posted an additional pic showing the breech face! Great! That tells me that the firing pin access is from the front. See those two little holes (one on each side of the firing pin hole)? That is where you insert the tool to screw out the plate to access the firing pins.

Bushed firing pins, aka: Disk-set strikers, common on better grade SxS, some O/U and SBT.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Old Miroku type 4 action see https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20 ... tguns.html .

I'm a coward and would flush pin holes with brake cleaner, soak action in kero for few days, dry, relube and see what happens. Sometimes those firing pin bushings don't like to come out...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

seb7515 wrote:
Old Miroku type 4 action see https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20 ... tguns.html .

I'm a coward and would flush pin holes with brake cleaner, soak action in kero for few days, dry, relube and see what happens. Sometimes those firing pin bushings don't like to come out...

Thanks, SEB7515. That is some excellent information about these old Miroku guns. Anyone with one of these guns should definitely bookmark that site.

I too would probably try the flushing/cleaning process first, but being the curious type, I'd probably also try to remove the bushing if it wasn't too firmly stuck in place. Sometimes you've got to know when to quit applying force before you really screw something up. :D