ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shotgun Rib Coming off
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:26 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently bought a Weatherby Orion for what I thought was a good price. It has this issue where the rib is coming off as seen in the photo. I didn't think this was a big deal. Turns out it is. I was told I am going to have to get this soldered back on and potentially have the barrel re-blued after that. This process could cost more than 50% what i paid for the gun.

Does anyone know if i can just get some metal glue and glue this back on? I don't need this to be the best gun in the world I just need it to work.

Post subject: Re: Shotgun Rib Coming off
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:57 pm 
Field Grade

Doubtful that most adhesives will hold up for a long time.
But it is a known trick for the unscrupulous who then quickly sell off the gun in question.

Yes, relaying a rib along with hand filing and reblueing of the barrels can run north of a grand. The barrels are heated superhot in an oven to remove all the old solder holding the rib on (enough that the fillets solder may melt out as well). That high heat ruins the old bluing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:56 am 
Limited Edition

Contact Weatherby even if you bought the gun used. I sold an Orion Sporting to a friend, she started having problems after the sale and returned it to Weatherby, they had trouble obtaining parts in a timely manner and eventually sent her a new gun at no charge. You may not be as lucky but you will never know unless you contact them, good luck and please let us know how it plays out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:07 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Scd98 wrote:
I recently bought a Weatherby Orion for what I thought was a good price. It has this issue where the rib is coming off as seen in the photo. I didn't think this was a big deal.

What photo?

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Couldnt figure out how to post the photo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:09 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Well, I'm not sure exactly what it looks like, but it sounds like you were aware of it when you bought the used gun. For starters, you can try your luck with Weatherby but I wouldn't get your hopes up. The cost of a proper repair likely exceeds the value of the gun.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

JB weld. Pretty good stuff. Super clean with a solvent, (sand areas as needed to remove loose solder prior to solvent), mix correctly, and clamp in place while curing. Use a small finish nail to apply at each of the rib attachment points. It may not be pretty depending on how careful you are but it should hold.

Enjoy Project Farm guy’s video testing. In another video, he repaired a cracked cylinder head with it, and made an entire small engine head from it. In both cases the engine ran.

I’ve used it to repair a white metal chainsaw case when a tree fell on it breaking the handle attachment point. Saw still running. You won’t need the high heat since not likely to have the muffler located within 1/8 inch of your shotgun rib.

https://youtu.be/H4xX7VecgzA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:07 pm 
Crown Grade

I used JB Weld on a motorcycle transmission case to fill a hole. Worked fine and still working when I sold it. If it was my gun and if it is possible, just JB the chamber end of the rib. This will allow the rib to move when the barrel heats up. This repair may not be possible if the muzzle end of the rib is not in a groove. Another possibility is not to replace the rib at all. Still another possibility is to cut through the rib in several places and JB them in place. The cuts will allow for expansion. I thought I went through all the possibilities but there is one more and that is Add a Rib for barrels without a rib. See http://www.addaribs.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For the love of sweet baby jesus do not use jb weld. It will be a horror show to clean up WHEN it fails.

You can use Loctite Black Max if there is enough room to get it in there. Hose everything down with degreaser, let it dry, then hose it down again. Work the black max into the separated section, clamp and let cure.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

Skeetman do you have experience with JB weld failing in this application and why would Locitite not fail? I have no experience with Blackmax. I agree though that once applied, JW weld is there. The metal particle epoxy matrix is tough and hard to remove. Did you watch the project farm video?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JB Weld will have poor shear strength and not be able to withstand repeated heating and cooling cycles, which impart expansion and contraction between both the barrel and the rib.

Black Max has been used by gunsmiths for this very repair, it is basically superglue infused with rubber to give it flex and give. It is also easy to clean up with acetone if you need to undo/redo it in the future. Its probably closes to a proper repair as you can get DIY without stripping and relaying the rib.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Phillips Gunsmithing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:41 pm 
Utility Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
For the love of sweet baby jesus do not use jb weld. It will be a horror show to clean up WHEN it fails.

You can use Loctite Black Max if there is enough room to get it in there. Hose everything down with degreaser, let it dry, then hose it down again. Work the black max into the separated section, clamp and let cure.

I am going to try the Black Max, just bought some on ebay. I figure if it goes wrong it wont be as much as a disaster as the JB weld and if I ever want to get it soldered it wont be as big of a deal to get off. Im gonna have to sand the part the top of the barrel to get the previous patch job epoxy off.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

+1 Phillps Gunsmithing