ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H& R Excel Semi-Auto Slam Fire
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:18 am 
Utility Grade

I have an H&R Excel 1871 semi-auto 12 gauge that slam fires when the barrel is pointed downward and the action snaps shut when the release button is pushed. When the barrel is level to the ground, however, the action closes normally and does not slam fire. I've disassembled and cleaned and reassembled which has not solved the problem. Is it worth getting fixed? Or should I just sell for parts?

Post subject: Re: H& R Excel Semi-Auto Slam Fire
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:03 pm 
Crown Grade

In my opinion you wouldn't have much if you got it fixed for free and would you ever really trust it? Like the best thing you can do with a cheap over and under, turn it into an attractive floor lamp and never worry about its safety again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

I would suspect a fouled or. Broken firing pin.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FoxHunt wrote:
I have an H&R Excel 1871 semi-auto 12 gauge that slam fires when the barrel is pointed downward and the action snaps shut when the release button is pushed. When the barrel is level to the ground, however, the action closes normally and does not slam fire. I've disassembled and cleaned and reassembled which has not solved the problem. Is it worth getting fixed? Or should I just sell for parts?

Someone guessed that it might be a broken firing pin. Certainly, that's one possibility, but I would think that if that were the case, it would slam fire regardless of the orientation of the gun.

My guess is that the firing pin SPRING is either broken or has become much too weak over the years. I suggest that you disassemble the bolt. If you find a broken part inside the bolt, then replace the broken part. If you don't find any broken parts, then replace just the spring that is around the firing pin. Of course, while you're at it, give the bolt assembly a good cleaning and lubrication. That MIGHT solve the problem, but I kind of doubt it.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks fellas. I'm starting to fear that it may just be too risky to mess with. I do appreciate your advice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ulysses wrote:
FoxHunt wrote:

Someone guessed that it might be a broken firing pin. Certainly, that's one possibility, but I would think that if that were the case, it would slam fire regardless of the orientation of the gun.

My guess is that the firing pin SPRING is either broken or has become much too weak over the years. I suggest that you disassemble the bolt. If you find a broken part inside the bolt, then replace the broken part. If you don't find any broken parts, then replace just the spring that is around the firing pin. Of course, while you're at it, give the bolt assembly a good cleaning and lubrication. That MIGHT solve the problem, but I kind of doubt it.

This is spot on.Broken/dirty/missing spring. I sure wouldn't scrap a gun over a $10.00 part .When tipped down the pin falls forward and the bolt slams home with enough force to detonate the primer. Easy fix.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ohio mike wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
FoxHunt wrote:

This is spot on.Broken/dirty/missing spring. I sure wouldn't scrap a gun over a $10.00 part .When tipped down the pin falls forward and the bolt slams home with enough force to detonate the primer. Easy fix.

Thanks, Mike.

When I mentioned in my post above about "that MIGHT solve the problem, but I kind of doubt it", I was referring to the cleaning process only. I want to make sure the OP understands that.

The cleaning alone MIGHT solve the problem, but I'm relatively SURE that if there are no broken parts, then a better/stronger firing pin return spring WILL fix the problem. Right now, that spring is borderline adequate, but when you tilt the gun downward, the extra force of gravity acting on the firing pin overcomes the marginal adequacy of the existing spring.

A NEW spring would almost certainly fix the problem. I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I do have a fairly strong degree of confidence in saying that. I do hope that the OP will not give up so easily. It's certainly worth the cost of a new spring to find out if that fixes the problem.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:37 am 
Tournament Grade

+2 on the firing pin retract/return spring being the culprit!