ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing gun oil from stock
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:40 am 
Utility Grade

Hi, i have a stock from an ithaca 37 it's oil soacked down to the core after 50 years of overoiling the gun, i'm trying to remove the oil with the acetone method, it's been 12 days since i dunk it inside the acetone and changed the acetone 3 times already used 6liters of the stuff... If i let the stock dry, oil will come again to the surface seems like the acetone is only removing superficial oil and can't penetrate inside the wood ? So is my acetone bad quality ? Should i move to the whitening method ? Or use turpentine instead of acetone ?
Seems like it takes forever :?
Any thoughts ?

Post subject: Re: Removing gun oil from stock
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Be patient. If the wood is truly saturated with oil, it will take time for the acetone to reach it and thin it out enough to get it to the surface via capillary action as it dries. Acetone is the safest of the common solvents, healthwise. Lacquer thinner is also good. The whiting method using either acetone or lacquer thinner also works, but will take even longer. Turpentine is too slow drying
and more expensive anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:56 pm 
Utility Grade

WOB wrote:
Be patient. If the wood is truly saturated with oil, it will take time for the acetone to reach it and thin it out enough to get it to the surface via capillary action as it dries. Acetone is the safest of the common solvents, healthwise. Lacquer thinner is also good. The whiting method using either acetone or lacquer thinner also works, but will take even longer. Turpentine is too slow drying
and more expensive anyway.

Ive thrown away already 6 liters of acetone that had turn orange from the oil... and acetone isn't cheap i'm down 30€, so i should leave it inside the acetone more days despite the acetone becoming yellow/orange from oil to reduce cost ?
Another thing i don't get that u said, acetone wont dry i use an air tight container for this purpose and lastly since im down on my last 2 liters of acetone is it ok if i change to turpentine in some days ? ive got some liters already or it wont have the same effect ?
Anyway thanks for the advice {hs#

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Leave it in the acetone until the acetone quits changing color. It might take a week. it will not hurt the wood. Eventually, when you remove the wood from the bath, the acetone-oil mixture in the wood pores will migrate to the surface and evaporate. The ideal is for the oil content of the mixture to be so low that there is a very small amount of oil left in the wood. So small that refinishing is not a problem. Turpentine will work if you have it.