ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Model 97
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Folks,

I have a W-97 breakdown that likes to slam fire, weather I want it to or not. Pulled the block and looked at both the sear and hammer. Neither have much wear and I cleaned up the sear tip and confirmed no gunk in the hammer slots. Hammer cocks fine and all parts are clean and in working order.

What I get is when you pump, the hammer fails to stay cocked but instead drops to the safety position. Hammer will cock on the first pump and stays there. It is on the second (fire and reload) and subsequent pumps that it trips into safety, which is enough to fire the next round since it is falling from the cocked position.

Again, nothing looks worn. I don’t want to replace the hammer, sear and sear spring just to see if this fixes the problem. Any ideas why this is happening? Is this just a characteristic of this weapon?

Post subject: Re: Winchester Model 97
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:47 am 
Utility Grade

I would venture a guess that the sear engagement notch on the hammer is wore enough to provide minimal engagement or the sear is wore or a combination of both parts . Someone in the past may have attempted a trigger job and gotten the sear / hammer engagement geometry messed up.

Post subject: Re: Winchester Model 97
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:49 am 
Utility Grade

That was my initial though. Pulled the block apart and insured the hammer slots were clean and sharp. Same with the sear. Engagement on the bench is great, very good fit with sharp edges. Even went so far as to sharpen the edge of the shear on a wet stone to remove any rounded edges. Get solid setting of the sear to hammer when cocking manually. Requires solid trigger pull to disengage.