ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FTF - Worn Firing Pin?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:47 am 
Field Grade

I shot a round of sporting clays yesterday with my son. We were both shooting Winchester Super X Model 1's. Son had a FTF from a light primer strike. The gun he was shooting was one that when I purchased it, it looked like it had a lot of mileage on it and was "rode hard and put away wet" as they say. I had already replaced the o-ring, bolt buffer (which had disintegrated) and a recoil spring follower and cleaned the gun well.

Take a look at the back end of the firing pin? It is worn down on an angle. Is that the cause of the problem? And should I replace it with a new one?

Post subject: Re: FTF - Worn Firing Pin?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:58 am 
Crown Grade

Could be the problem but I would replace the firing pin anyway. Also clean out the channel the firing pin is in all the way to the front of the bolt. It is usually the tip of the firing pin that causes problems, not the rear end.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:08 am 
Crown Grade

Looks like the hammer mushroomed the back of the firing pin. Most likely from improper heat treatment or poor quality steel on the firing pin. I would also check the hammer (on the trigger assy) to be sure it is not deformed also. The replacement pin may or may not give problems eventually.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I wouldn't worry about a single misfire. It might have been the ammo. If you start getting repeated misfires, change the ammo. If it continues to misfire 2 or 3 times per 100, then you might need to do something to the gun.

I would start by disassembling the bolt and inspecting the parts and clean them thoroughly and lube them. If it continues to misfire, then you may need new parts... possibly a new hammer spring, or new firing pin. I'd also clean the trigger assembly in a container of solvent.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:56 am 
Presentation Grade

Coop,

New firing pin and cut 3 coils off of the return spring.

CT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:25 am 
Field Grade

So, I removed the retaining pin and the firing pin didn’t pop out. I needed to gently pull it out with a pair of needle nose pliers. It does not seem to move freely in its channel. I am surprised that it didn’t fail to fire every time.

I ordered a new firing pin, spring and retaining pin kit from Nuline. While I am waiting, I am soaking the bolt components in mineral spirits. I’ll get her runnin’ again. I have three super X model ones. This particular one Looks like it was “rode hard and put away wet” before I got her. The bolt buffer was in crumbs. There was a bit of speckling on the receiver and obviously no one paid attention to the bolt group. But I love working on guns and have no doubt that I will get this one working flawlessly pretty soon. Some people just don’t like to clean guns or change the oil in their car. Gas guns are not for those kind of people.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:18 pm 
Field Grade

Here is the old firing pin on top and new one on bottom. I’d say the original is well-buggered

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Definately " rode hard",I would check all internals .Numrich arms is a great source of parts.