ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Briley on barrel work?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:40 am 
Limited Edition

Thinking of using Briley to do some barrel work on a SxS.

Any comments on work that anyone has had carried out by Briley lately?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Briley on barrel work?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:04 am 
Presentation Grade

In the past few years, I've had them thread a barrel for thin wall chokes and polish out some light rust/pitting in a barrel. Work was well done, the former took 3-4 weeks, the latter took about 2-3 weeks. Overall, I've been very happy with their service.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:38 am 
Crown Grade

You might want to also contact Mike Orlen and see if he would do the work. If so he has an excellent reputation with quick turnaround and reasonable prices.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 12&t=36237

My main reason for recommending M. Orlen is that although I do not have first hand experience with shoddy work from Briley, a good shooting friend did. They only threaded the right barrel and returned it that way without first asking him if it was o.k. to do that. They claimed it was too thin to do both barrels. They did not get his prior approval to do that. I have seen the gun and in fact, it only has one barrel with choke tubes. He is no longer a Briley fan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have had Briley install choke tubes in two SxSs. Both required custom thinwalls. Both jobs were excellent. I have had Mike Orlen do several barrels, also with excellent results. Mike does not have the ability to do everything Briley does, but when he can he is less expensive and faster.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:52 pm 
Crown Grade

I guess companies can change & they don't always give your job to the most skilled craftsman in the company. I have dealt with Briley off & on for over 20 years & their work has always pleased me. I never dealt with Mike & don't know him but I do know he has an excellent reputation. I don't think you would go wrong with either!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:52 am 
Presentation Grade

I have been a Briley customer since 1978 and they have always done the job right for me...probably why they continue to earn my business!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oyeme wrote:
You might want to also contact Mike Orlen and see if he would do the work. If so he has an excellent reputation with quick turnaround and reasonable prices.

My main reason for recommending M. Orlen is that although I do not have first hand experience with shoddy work from Briley, a good shooting friend did. They only threaded the right barrel and returned it that way without first asking him if it was o.k. to do that. They claimed it was too thin to do both barrels. They did not get his prior approval to do that. I have seen the gun and in fact, it only has one barrel with choke tubes. He is no longer a Briley fan.

That would have really ticked me off.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

lossking wrote:
oyeme wrote:

That would have really ticked me off.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t discover the thin barrel until it was time to modify it. Not that that would be a valid excuse. I would still have been pissed. They should have checked both before starting. But I could see how that would happen. The other barrel was already done when they realized they couldn’t do both. In that case they wouldn’t have actually thought the customer would want it like like that but couldn’t do anything about it. So they may have been careless, but not stupid.