ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cynergy drop question
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have read for last couple hours and now confused. Here’s the problem: my new gun does not seem to fit. I am seeing way too much rib (runway) when I shoulder the gun. This would cause me to shoot high I guess. It also has pretty good recoil so I’m assuming it’s not fitting me. I have adjusted all my s/a with shims .... so, how do I drop a cynergy with composite stock? It’s the camo version.

Thanks jed

Post subject: Re: Cynergy drop question
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:06 pm 
Field Grade

jed1894 wrote:
I have read for last couple hours and now confused. Here’s the problem: my new gun does not seem to fit. I am seeing way too much rib (runway) when I shoulder the gun. This would cause me to shoot high I guess. It also has pretty good recoil so I’m assuming it’s not fitting me. I have adjusted all my s/a with shims .... so, how do I drop a cynergy with composite stock? It’s the camo version.

Thanks jed

What I see from browning is that the Cynergy with a composite stock does have an adjustable stock.

https://www.browning.com/content/dam/br ... OM_WEB.pdf

starting on the bottom of page 32 it talks about the composite stock adjustments.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

OP, first you need to determine whether there is not enough drop at heel or not enough drop at the comb. Is the gun at the usual place in your shoulder pocket? Is the comb (when not adjusted) at the usual place in your cheek pocket?

Don’t start out by shouldering the gun. Start out by “cheeking” the gun. Make sure the gun is firmly planted as usual in your cheek pocket when you slide it back to your shoulder. Now is the rib still too low? Is the butt at the proper place or too low or high ?

If the rib is still to low and the butt is right, the easiest thing is to add a riser to the rib and you are done! If the butt is too low, when the comb is right, you need an adjustable butt pad and raise it. Then you will likely still need to add height to the rib. If the butt is too high when the comb is in the cheek pocket, raise the comb to lower the butt. That will probably fix the rib. It would be easier with a wooden comb that could be cut down instead of raising the rib, but with the synthetic comb, you have to work around it.

See how easy that is.

Last edited by moishepipick on Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jed1894 wrote:

Thanks jed

Jed,

You are probably correct when you say that your gun does not fit you but just to make sure...

What are your height and weight?

When you mount your gun, where is the top of the recoil pad relative to your collarbone? This aspect of your gun mount can affect how your cheek makes contact with the comb and if you need to lean your neck forward to put your cheek on the comb, which in turn can affect the need to lean your neck forward to put your cheek on the comb and the additional felt recoil it often causes.

When you put your cheek on the comb, do your "hang" your cheekbone on the comb? (This is where your weight may come into play,)

With answers to these questions, I may be able to offer suggestions to make you gun fit better.

(Raising the rib, (which accomplishes the same thing as lowering the comb) is easily accomplished by the use of an add-on rib, which attaches to your existing rib with two-sided tape. http://www.addarib.com sells them in your choice of heights and lengths.

You can determine how high the add-on rib needs to be by using a strip of wood taped to your existing rib. Balsa from a hobby shop is the easiest species to use but any wood will work.)

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384