ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem with ejection on a new style A-5 (short recoil)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:18 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Portuguese Browning A-5 (short recoil design) in 3 1/2" that frequently will fail to get the empty to clear the ejection port. It occasionally fails regardless of cartridge size or charge. My concern is #1 perhaps the extractor spring is not quite strong enough to forcibly pin the LH side of the case head along the barrel extension until the spring loaded ejector contacts the case head & the case just falls down. #2 perhaps the "stop" on the inner leg of the extractor is not letting the extractor move close enough to center to again pin the case to the LH side of the barrel extension. #3 Or, the spring loaded ejector on the barrel extension seems small though not actually looking worn. Has anyone had to deal with this situation? I would start with a heavier spring for openers BUT am concerned that if I break or molest (AKA change the inward sweep) of the extractor, being it is new model A-5, will I be able to buy another extractor? The extension mounted ejector really looks small but does not look worn down....just dinky. Any ideas on this on as the best place to start? As you would guess, it is a most intermittent failure that always shows up when you need a second shot most. Thank you & as always Safe Shooting

Post subject: Re: Problem with ejection on a new style A-5 (short recoil)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:07 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The new bolt head improves things.

http://randywakeman.com/

Post subject: Re: Problem with ejection on a new style A-5 (short recoil)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:51 pm 
Field Grade

I had issues with mine ejecting 3-1/2” shells first, then 3”. The extractor on the bolt head was worn badly. Browning replaced the complete bolt head and I haven’t had an issue. Although I did change my action spring recently as well. Duck season a few years back it got really soaked in a down pour and I pulled it out and it was pretty dirty. I’ve probably put 3k or 4K rounds through it though. Try browning they should sent you a new bolt head that fixed my problem.