ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weatherby Orion O/U... Removing firing pin bushings?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:32 am 
Field Grade

My wife's Orion (12 ga) Japanese made, has bushings that contain the firing pins, and I'd like to remove them for cleaning/maintenance. The base of the firing pins are square where they protrude out the back of the bushings. I assume that this square shank is what you turn to remove the bushing/pin assembly, but what tool/spanner is used to do this? Or do I have to make the appropriately sized square socket/wrench to do so? The square portion of the pin base is about .150" square. I didn't see anything in Brownell's that would work.
Thanks for any input and opinions!

Post subject: Re: Weatherby Orion O/U... Removing firing pin bushings?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Kentuckycook wrote:
My wife's Orion (12 ga) Japanese made, has bushings that contain the firing pins, and I'd like to remove them for cleaning/maintenance. The base of the firing pins are square where they protrude out the back of the bushings. I assume that this square shank is what you turn to remove the bushing/pin assembly, but what tool/spanner is used to do this? Or do I have to make the appropriately sized square socket/wrench to do so? The square portion of the pin base is about .150" square. I didn't see anything in Brownell's that would work.
Thanks for any input and opinions!

You can get the tool from SKB USA. It costs $25 which is a ripoff for such a simple tool, but unless you can make your own tool (which shouldn't be too difficult), it's the only alternative that I know of.

Here is a link to the tool. https://www.skbshotguns.com/parts-tools/japan/gun-tools

I bought one and it does work. (For that price, it SHOULD work.) :D

While you're at it, you might want to order a couple of Hammer (V) Springs for the gun. The top barrel spring is different from the bottom barrel spring. As I recall, they hit you up for about $10 or $12 shipping cost, so you might as well go ahead and order anything you think you'll need to keep from having to pay the shipping again.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:27 am 
Field Grade

Thanks, Ulysses! I always appreciate your thoughtful replies. I'll take a look and see if it looks like I can fabricate one (i'm handy with things like that). Also good to know on the springs, too. I'll lay a pair back, just in case.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Kentuckycook wrote:
Thanks, Ulysses! I always appreciate your thoughtful replies. I'll take a look and see if it looks like I can fabricate one (i'm handy with things like that). Also good to know on the springs, too. I'll lay a pair back, just in case.

I thought about making my own tool also, but I couldn't find a drill bit that would drill a square hole. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:42 am 
Field Grade

That's funny!.....I'm thinking a piece of 1/8 inch flat steel with a hole drilled on the tapered end. Needle file the hole until square, to fit the pin base. Bend as necessary and turn out the bushings.
(One of those rainy day projects we all need from time to time!)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Kentuckycook wrote:
That's funny!.....I'm thinking a piece of 1/8 inch flat steel with a hole drilled on the tapered end. Needle file the hole until square, to fit the pin base. Bend as necessary and turn out the bushings.
(One of those rainy day projects we all need from time to time!)

That will work as long as you take the time to make the size just right and the corners square. If your "wrench" is slightly big or the corners not exactly square, you risk rounding the corners of the firing pins in an attempt to get them out. If that happens, you're up the creek.

I thought about doing it, but then considered the time I'd have to put into it and possibly still not be successful. Worse yet, if I rounded the corners of those small firing pins (which are in there pretty snugly), then I'd really be P.O.'ed. So I decided to just spend the $25 and possibly save myself a lot of headaches and perhaps further expense. :)

Good luck if you build a workable wrench.