ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 686 sporting issue
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I've only had this happen to me with top barrell selected first.

I'll shoot my first shot and go for the second shot and the bottom barrell won't fire. If I pull the trigger a 3rd time I can get it to fire.

This isn't happening all the time. Maybe 3 to 5 times out of 100 rounds.

I took the stock off, the action doesn't look to dirty in there but I sprayed it with wd-40 and got some crud out of it. I have 3 to 5k rounds through this firearm.

Any suggestions before I send it in for warranty.

Post subject: Re: Beretta 686 sporting issue
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:07 pm 
Limited Edition

Better off to send it to Cole's for a once over.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

You don’t want to use WD-40 for gun internals. It leaves a gummy residue. It is fine for cleaning barrels. The detergency acts like a gun solvent and the odor is not as strong as Hoppe’s. But you should not use it inside the gun unless you rinse it all out with mineral spirits.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Auldthymer wrote:
You don’t want to use WD-40 for gun internals. It leaves a gummy residue. It is fine for cleaning barrels. The detergency acts like a gun solvent and the odor is not as strong as Hoppe’s. But you should not use it inside the gun unless you rinse it all out with mineral spirits.

What he said.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Only this week did I learn what Trigger Lock meant. (not fully releasing the trigger in time for the second shot). I found myself doing it twice in the same day.

Now that I know, I hope I never do it again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

richg99 wrote:
Only this week did I learn what Trigger Lock meant. (not fully releasing the trigger in time for the second shot). I found myself doing it twice in the same day.

Now that I know, I hope I never do it again.

Also called trapping the trigger.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

hopper810 wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:

What he said.

Thanks. Of course by internals I meant the action, trigger, etc., the workings. Internal to the barrel is no problem. But you knew that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Auldthymer wrote:
hopper810 wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:

What he said.

Thanks. Of course by internals I meant the action, trigger, etc., the workings. Internal to the barrel is no problem. But you knew that.

I just use the Mineral Sprits when I decide the trigger group needs a cleaning :) And if WD-40 is close by I'll spray a bunch insides the Bbl's then stand on end while doing rest of the gun or use CLP or QMaxx blue sprayed inside the Bbls. like I said I'll grab what's within arms length :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:15 am 
Crown Grade

Beretta 6xx series have 2 cocking rods which run through tunnels in the bottom of the action and they're a fairly close fit... WD40 leaves a residue and if it gets on the cocking rods it will gum them up and sooner or later cause them to stick. This is not a good thing as it (a) leads to misfires and (b) requires an expensive strip down to clean the residue out.

Don't ask me how I know this, but no doubt someone will be along shortly who's been using WD in their Beretta action for years and never had a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have had the cocking rod problem with a Beretta. Listen to Trickster.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Trickster wrote:
Beretta 6xx series have 2 cocking rods which run through tunnels in the bottom of the action and they're a fairly close fit... WD40 leaves a residue and if it gets on the cocking rods it will gum them up and sooner or later cause them to stick. This is not a good thing as it (a) leads to misfires and (b) requires an expensive strip down to clean the residue out.

Don't ask me how I know this, but no doubt someone will be along shortly who's been using WD in their Beretta action for years and never had a problem.

You are right on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:20 am 
Presentation Grade

Trickster wrote:

Shouldn't be expensive if you take it apart and clean it up yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:41 pm 
Utility Grade

Well I sent it to coles after I took my other 686 out with zero issues so I don't think I was trapping the trigger.

I don't normally use wd-40 for cleaning at all. Only used it once after having the initial issue.

While Cole has it to find out what the issue is I have them doing some work to the trigger as well.