PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:35 pm 
Field Grade

Use Black silicone

Post subject: Re: Plugging the front bead hole
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:11 am 
Presentation Grade

checker wrote:
Use Black silicone

That's a good idea. If the wax I'm using doesn't hang in there it I'll try try the black silicone. I want something reversible in order to put a bead back in there later if I so choose.

I've had my gunsmith remove mid-beads and he neatly fits a flush set screw. No big deal on a mid-bead and the set screw looks good,, but I think it would be tough to put a bead back in if I went with a flush set screw on the front bead.

Post subject: Re: Plugging the front bead hole
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:19 am 
Presentation Grade

simslax wrote:
Talented "old school" master gunsmiths make their own screws and pins when necessary.

I just watched one being made about a week ago for a missing screw on a barrel sling swivel on an imported German sxs. Pretty cool. Removed and measured the remaining set screw in barrel swivel fixture for head size, length, diameter and thread pitch. Chucked up some round metal rod in in a lathe and turned it down to thread diameter, leaving a head. Constant measurements by caliper. Cut off for length and shape head with file and sandpaper. Cut a screwdriver slot in head with fine file. Tap and die set used to make the metric threads and cut hole to accept them. Touch of Oxpho Blue on that polished slotted screw head once done. Voila. Installed into sling swivel fixture on lower rib. New screw indistinguishable from the original remaining screw. Took maybe 20 to 25 minutes.

If I wanted the sling swivel fixture removed completely he would have made two threaded studs to fill the old screw holes in the bottom rib. One threaded stud like that would fill an empty bead sight.

I have heard of smiths making metal parts like this but I had never seen it done in person until last week. Pretty damn cool.

This would be optimum. We'll see how the no-bead approach goes. The gun a highly customized 686 field I put together about 10 years ago and there nothing about it 686-normal now, so if I decide to stay with the no-bead approach I'd have no problem getting it done right.