ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: L C Smith Field
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:53 am 
Tournament Grade

Is it normal for these to feel "springy" at the last bit of opening? I recently bought one that needs to be forced to open far enough to put shells in. I'm wondering if cocking mechanism needs to be adjusted?

Post subject: Re: L C Smith Field
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:21 am 
Crown Grade

That's the way my Nitro Special is, and my Dickinson, as well.

There's no adjustment in the cocking mechanism, so I'd consider it normal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:32 pm 
Crown Grade

I have 5 Elsies I shoot regularly as well as 6 other SXS shotguns. I have never noticed a difference in the Elsies & the other guns but I am infinitely accustomed to the guns. You must be accustomed to something else. Some force is required to cock the hammers but it should not be a lot of force. I don't think it is a problem as long as it goes bang when you pull the trigger but if it bothers you, I would get an opinion from somebody familiar with double guns.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Try the L.C. Smith subforum of Shotgunworld. Additionally, you can go to the L.C. Smith Collectors Association’s website and access it’s L.C. Smith Forum. They are willing to help.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:32 pm 
Crown Grade

When you're breaking open a break action gun after firing, you're compressing some fairly powerful hammer springs as the gun cocks. Try opening the gun when it is already cocked, and you will see that it is a fairly easy operation until you get to the point the cocking levers start compressing the springs again and moving the cocking notches on the hammers past the sear nose. A little overtravel past the cocking is desirable to ensure a little wear doesn't disable the gun. On many cocked guns if you relax the opening effort, the hammer springs will cause the breech to close slightly and the shells will not clear the standing breech. I actually like that feature as I can carry the gun broken open with shells in the chambers and not worry about the shells falling out.