Shotgunworld.com
https://www.shotgunworld.com:443/bbs/

Plugging the front bead hole
https://www.shotgunworld.com:443/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=519276
Page 1 of 1

Author:  DE [ Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Plugging the front bead hole

I want to try going without a front bead on one of my shotguns, but I'm not enthusiastic about seeing the open threaded hole. For a temporary plug I thought I'd just fill it in with some black grease. If I like how the gun shoots is there a way to obtain a threaded plug for the hole? It's a Beretta 686.

Author:  T-Pee [ Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

Set screw? Trimmed black rubber plug?

tp

Author:  3'12 [ Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

Drip some black crayon wax in the hole. Steve!

Author:  DE [ Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

Those are good ideas. I'll most likely start out with the black grease or wax.

Author:  T-Pee [ Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

3'12 wrote:
Drip some black crayon wax in the hole. Steve!

Would that be the new "flesh" color?

tp (down with the times)

Author:  lossking [ Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

T-Pee wrote:
3'12 wrote:
Drip some black crayon wax in the hole. Steve!

Would that be the new "flesh" color?

tp (down with the times)


You are obviously in need of some sensitivity training.

Author:  Auldthymer [ Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

Set screw is the pro way to do it. I have a kit of gunsmithing screws that help with this sort of thing. But I can see how the screw would be smaller than it would be easy to find.

Author:  T-Pee [ Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

lossking wrote:
T-Pee wrote:
3'12 wrote:
Drip some black crayon wax in the hole. Steve!

Would that be the new "flesh" color?

tp (down with the times)


You are obviously in need of some sensitivity training.

True story:

Was having a discussion with a friend about oversensitive people.
I stated, "Oversensitive people don't affect my insensitivity."
It's on a t-shirt that was made by that friend for me.
Picture on request.

tp

Author:  DE [ Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

Auldthymer wrote:
Set screw is the pro way to do it. I have a kit of gunsmithing screws that help with this sort of thing. But I can see how the screw would be smaller than it would be easy to find.


This is the way I would go if I decide to keep the bead off. My gunsmith has neatly plugged mid-bead holes with a nice flush set screw.

Author:  EricB [ Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

lossking wrote:
T-Pee wrote:
3'12 wrote:

You are obviously in need of some sensitivity training.

True story:

Was having a discussion with a friend about oversensitive people.
I stated, "Oversensitive people don't affect my insensitivity."
It's on a t-shirt that was made by that friend for me.
Picture on request.

tp


I’d like to see it. Gonna post the pic here or do you want my email?

Author:  T-Pee [ Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

Behold.
I got the quote slightly wrong (haven't worn the shirt for a while) but the sentiment is accurate.
Apologies for the thread drift.

tp

Attachment:
0922201013 r.jpg

Author:  EricB [ Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

Nice!

Author:  lossking [ Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

Would go good with a MAGA hat!

Author:  T-Pee [ Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

lossking wrote:
Would go good with a MAGA hat!

Indeed it would but I'm usually armed so therefore normally eschew looking for trouble.

tp (and a modicum of common sense)

Author:  Capt Rich [ Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

The idea of removing the front site is fine idea. The idea is to focus on the target, not the bead.
I shoot clays and have hi viz front beads. I could not tell you what color they are. Focus on the target [birds or clays] not the barrel. For clays mount your gun and drop the entire gun slightly and focus on the bird or further out, FOCUS.

Author:  richg99 [ Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

If you need a tiny set screw, model train/plane etc. stores have tons of them. Most are probably metric.

Author:  DE [ Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

richg99 wrote:
If you need a tiny set screw, model train/plane etc. stores have tons of them. Most are probably metric.


Good to know, thanks!

Author:  blindretrieve [ Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Plugging the front bead hole

I remember years ago shooting trap one day. As I shot, something just "felt" different about my shooting..My stance, my mount,, I couldnt ever put a finger on it.
After the first round (i had a good score) Someone said something about my shooting improving.. I told that guy,, that I felt uncomfortable that day, that something was different.. We continued to talk,,and he looked at my gun in the rack,, he sid " Your front bead is gone"! :)

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/