ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning barrel on an FN SLP
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:17 pm 
Utility Grade

My boys have joined a local clays team. I've competed with precision rifles for a long time and used to be very active in 3 gun, but I'm woefully unequipped for anything flying. I have an old 20 gauge S&W 1000 for one of them, but I needed something for the other. I plan to get them something better, most likely a pair of Beretta A300's or Rem V3's, for Christmas, but I need something to get by while I research.

My old 3 gun shotgun is an FN SLP Mk1. The picatinny rail and rifle sights aren't ideal for this sport, so I started doing research. Winchester SX2 and SX3 barrels work on the FN, but they're over half the cost of a new gun. The Browning Gold and Silver shotguns are nearly identical, but the barrels won't work; however, a friend is running an SX2 barrel on his Browning. That told me they're very close. I took a chance and ordered a 28" Browning Gold Evolve barrel along with an IC choke from CDNN for cheap. If I couldn't get it to work, I wouldn't be out too much.

This is what I received. Nope, that's not gonna work. The right side as shown below and the rear locking surface are at the same place, but the corner radius is smaller on the FN and the left side needed to be moved over nearly .125.

I put it in the mill and indicated on the ramped portion.

Using a 3/16 end mill, I cut the corner on one side and cut just under .125 off the other side.

I dropped a shell in the chamber, and the bolt locked in perfectly.

After.

Works like a charm! It seems to have a little more recoil, but I haven't compared the gas port sizes yet. That could just be in my head. If you're looking to change up your FN without spending a fortune and know someone with a mill, it's a very easy modification.

As always, your mileage may vary, don't make any modifications you're unsure of, and I'm not responsible if you blow your face off.