ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stock to Receiver Fit?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:03 am 
Field Grade

I've got a new stock for my Zoli. The new stock seems to be a tighter fit than the old stock to the receiver. I can slide the stock on to the receiver by hand up to about 1/8" of being fully seated. I'm sure that I can pull the stock the rest of the way up with the stock bolt, but I don't want to risk breaking anything.

So, how tight should the stock fit to the receiver? Is there a way to tell when you have the correct fit?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Stock to Receiver Fit?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:20 am 
Crown Grade

May need to have it fitted by a professional.
Too tight may cause it to crack.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:58 am 
Crown Grade

It's not that hard to do but unless you are prepared to do some research on the methods & spend some time on it, I would do like Dr. Duk says & take it to a professional. He can do it much more efficiently than me or you. This sounds much less involved than inletting a stock but basically, what you are talking about is the final fitting or inletting. This procedure is slow & tedious & can't be rushed. From what I can gather, most instructors on the subject suggest you practice on a cheap piece of wood before you try it on an expensive blank but you are just doing some final adjustments here. If memory serves me correctly, you coat the metal with something called prussion blue. Brownells sells it or the equal to it. Then when you put the stock on the gun, the high spots will be marked by the prussian blue. Carefully remove the high spots a little at a time. Keep repeating this process until the stock fits.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:00 am 
Crown Grade

Exactly, those stocks aren't a drop in fit. And for most people fitting isn't a DIY. Take off too much and you just ruined a high dollar stock.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:33 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the advice. I'm taking it to my gunsmith next week.