ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacement of Winchester Model 12 adj sleeve lock
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hello,

Is there ANY way to replace the adjusting sleeve lock on the Winchester Model 12 without unscrewing the barrel from the extension itself? [I asked in the Winchester forum and was referred to here.]

I found a barrel/extension that doesn't have a lock in the extension, but the barrel is already fitted into the extension.

I have a lock for it, but have no clue how to insert it.

Anyone have any ideas?

thank you

Post subject: Re: Replacement of Winchester Model 12 adj sleeve lock
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Nope ,barrel has to come off , the lock has a track that has to go in a groove in the receiver extension and the barrel is in the way to start it. (as a side note if the barrel has a vent rib you can't take the receiver extension off or on)

Bobcat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bobcat Welding wrote:
Nope ,barrel has to come off , the lock has a track that has to go in a groove in the receiver extension and the barrel is in the way to start it. (as a side note if the barrel has a vent rib you can't take the receiver extension off or on)

Bobcat

Thanks. That is what I was afraid of.

I picked up a barrel/extension for a price I could swing. It is ugly, but not rusted. about 19" long. Thought I might see about doing an HD setup to swap on/off my '50 Field.

[I know- fitting barrel/extension is a task best left to those like Simmons/NuLine.]

However, before getting THAT far, I realized there is no lock in that groove.

Weird!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:39 am 
Presentation Grade

If you are re installing the same barrel ,there is be no re fitting to the receiver extension required and un screwing and reinstalling isn't that bad. Here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQaHX38jcgY You don't need the elaborate equipment shown just a way to hold the barrel and apply beaucoup torque. The sides of the receiver extension are (sorta) flat I use a ginormous crescent wrench padded with leather and a wood block with rosin and a hydraulic press to hold the barrel. Remember it's probably a write off anyway. You can try to put it on your receiver the way it is to see if it is close to fitting the receiver , otherwise you will also have to go through these steps
http://www.nulineguns.com/part_part_2046_3_31_42.php
Bobcat