ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester model 12 carrier play?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:15 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello,

I am having some trouble with a new to me model 12, 1957 build. When pumping the gun quickly the unfired shell will occasionally not get inserted into the chamber and instead will catch on the ejection port side of the chamber ring. I came across an old post on this site that had possible causes for this concern. One of the ideas posted was a loose carrier screw causing play and leading to the carrier not centering the round on the chamber. After inspecting this screw I did find it was loose, I tightened it and still have play in the carrier. The problem is I don’t know how much play is excessive for this firearm. Should it be near zero or is there an acceptable amount?

I really appreciate any help that anyone can provide. I also am open to other ideas of things to check. The left side extractor was my first suspicion due to it looking worn but after searching for pictures of new extractors they look pretty similar to mine. Extractor springs will probably be next on my list of suspects if the carrier play is normal. My carrier does have the ‘flag/ guide’ on the right side to help center the round as well if that makes a difference.

Post subject: Re: Winchester model 12 carrier play?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just went through the same problem with my M12. I bought a carrier plunger kit and right side extractor kit from nuline and all is well. TBH I think in my case it was weak extractor spring, left side extractor would push on shell rim and right side extractor would fall to the right because of weak spring. With the carrier plunger kit you also get new hard to find carrier spring :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for the reply, I will look into both of those kits. When the malfunction occurs I have noticed that the round is usually inside of the right extractor (toward the bolt face) and outside of the left extractor (toward the chamber) which makes the weak right spring theory Seem likely in my case as well. I am not too familiar with the dual extractor system as my only other pump gun is an 870 with the single right side extractor. Would it make sense to replace both left and right side extractor kits to ensure the left side isn’t also at least somewhat weak and possibly creating the reverse of my current issue?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hello Tkemp1911, that's a good idea replacing the left side extractor spring as well. I will order the left side kit for mine.